Author Topic: look up marriage in Merton, Surrey  (Read 3177 times)

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look up marriage in Merton, Surrey
« on: Monday 03 May 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Is anybody able to look up a marriage for me between John Cooper and Rebecca Peacock, 1793.  Probably in Merton, Surrey, St Mary's
Thankyou
Virginia

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: look up marriage in Merton, Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
It`s on familysearch as a SUBMITTED record..
they married on 4th august 1793.........doesn`t give any other details......allan :)
probably was Merton , Surrey as Rebeccas babtism is on there as well
19th january 1772 Merton Surrey....Rebecca Peacock , daughter of Thomas Peacock...mother Jane..extracted record

Thomas Peacock married Jane Lunt  on 12 nov 1767...Merton, Surrey....extracted record
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes I have seen this, but I am trying to tie to Merton, where all their children were born.  I need a positive identification to try and probe back further into the Cooper history.
Thanks anyway
Virginia

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya ...if Rebeccas parents were married in Merton and Rebecca babtised there , the chances are Rebecca married there...is it the Cooper connection to Merton you are trying to establish ???.....allan

Added...the nearest to Merton for a John Cooper babtism is Wandsworth,Surrey...do you know if that is close to Merton ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
It is indeed,  Rebecca married John Cooper, and they stayed in Merton as all their children were born there so it is a strong possibility that John was born there too.  This is where I am stuck, I cannot find out who John was, when and where he was born.  There is a record of a John Cooper marrying Rebecca in St George's Hanover Square, but why would she go to London to marry, there never has been any record of money in the family and St George's Hanover Square Westminster was I think a little too 'posh'.
Regards
Virginia

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
It is near enough to be definitely worth some research.  John and Rebecca's son William moved in that direction s it is a possibility.  What details do you have?
Virginia 

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
If Rebecca married in Hanover Square maybe John was from that area and had money for a big posh wedding...why not ?.....it does say on IGI they married in London....but it is only submitted......I see your problem now , but it looks like they married in St Georges like you have stated.....maybe one of them was in service there for someone rich....

John Cooper born  31st March 1765  Wandsworth , Surrey  father John Cooper mother Jane...submitted

.allan :)
added...I`m from the North...how far is Wandsworth to Westminister ?

Offline gini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information.  The London Borough of Wandsworth is just across the river Thames to the Borough or City of Westminster, so not far really, walking distance, but in terms of prosperity, miles apart.  Wandsworth was and I guess still is a poor borough when compared to Westminster.
Thanks again
Virginia

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 May 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any supporting evidence for a marriage in Merton - no entry for Rebecca Peacock or John Cooper.  The extracted marriage records are included on the IGI.

When was the first child born?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk