Author Topic: Death Certificate to Graveside  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Darryl Stearman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate to Graveside
« on: Monday 03 May 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have started to gather some GRO Death Certs for family 1850-1960, and note they all di withing 10 mile radius of one area (Froddingham, Scunthorpe, N Lincs England)

I can take a trip there to view any Graves and memorials but want to plan my trip to maximize time. I have discovered the local Crematorium holds "records" for all 7 Scunthorpe Cemeteries, but not smaller churches etc.

How do i go about locating graves from records, is it simply a case of a date search in  book? this may be an obvious question!

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate to Graveside
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:50 BST (UK) »
I have found it can be quite difficult locating burials -

First of all check the National Burial Index in case you get lucky.  Google for any Monumental Inscription transcriptions online in the relevant areas/churches anything which will narrow down your search.

You have death certificates which is a great start as you have exact dates to search from.

If you think they could have been buried in local churches then you can see if the parish records are deposited with the local archives.  Scunthorpe library may hold some I don't know.  If the parish records have not been deposited you may be able to book an appointment with the vicar to view the records - be warned some charge serious money others none at all.  They may say they will check for you for a fee.  Always worth checking any monumental inscriptions in the Archives if any have been transcribed. 

Also local paper archives (again the Library?) can be searched for any obits or funeral announcements.

If they are buried in a municipal cemetery, and you have already found where these are kept, then give them a ring.  See if you have to make an appointment - pay to view them - or if they do the searching for you.   Again you have a head start as you have the dates of death.

Any research you can do beforehand to organise it will be worthwhile.

Google and check the NBI
Source the locations of parish and municipal records
Spend some time on the phone in case you need to book in advance
Find out if you can search yourself or if they do it for you.
Take all your certs with you on the trip.
Check all locations of churches/graveyards/cemeteries before you go.
Find out if it will it cost you anything.

I am not an expert but I hope this helps.

Tressle :)
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 May 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

These are the churches and a some cemeteries covered by the National Burial Index (CD)

http://www.ffhs.org.uk/projects/nbi/nbi-coverage.php

In urban areas churchyards begin to shut from the 1840/50s onwards as cemeteries begin to be opened.
After the Second World War cremations became increasingly popular so both burial and the cremation registers need to be searched for later deaths.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darryl Stearman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 May 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thas a great start folks thanks a lot.

I think my next port of call is the telephone call to the records holders.

I should have said earlier, my previous research has found 5 obits from their local paper, the family was (moderately) big in Steel so featured in Obits etc.

I think i know the exact Cemetry where they should be as it was established by the Steel works in the "new town" built specifically for re-located steel workers.

I have Google earthed it and it is massive so i need to nail the locations a bit otherwise iwill wander round aimlessly.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Darryl

Good luck on your expedition  :)

I suspect you already have this site, The Star Surname Index,  but it does cover that sort of area and a I have had a few hits puttting  family names in.

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/libraries/familyhistory/Surnames/

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline Darryl Stearman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, i do have this one but its good to know if i didnt someone out there suggesting it. Mutual support is great.

Darryl

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Newspaper death and funeral notices should tell you where the burial/cremation was scheduled. Also if the name of the funeral director is given, there may be archived records held there.

charlotte