Author Topic: Durness Parish Register  (Read 164202 times)

Offline iangale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 09:25 BST (UK) »
I was looking for confirmation of the dob of Angus Mackay who married 26/12/1806.  I did not find that info and wondered where you had picked it up from.

Regards

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

30/08/1779 Donald MacKay, alias Macrob macEmish macuilamskerray a young man in Arnoboll and Elisabeth Mackintosh alias nin hustian macnish, Angus

Is this what you were after, extracted from the Durness Parish Register.

Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline dlj123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 13 September 05 16:58 BST (UK) »
hi andy
thanks for previous info, you said andrew mackay was in RF what is that and serving in ireland, have you anymore details on that please
regards
jon
mackay, garden

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

The RF refers to the following:-

The Reay Fencibles

Raised in 1794 by George MacKay of Bighouse.
Strength of 800 men, of whom 700 had "Mac" prefixed to their names.
The uniform was Highland, with light blue facings, and silver lace, the officers' loops being in pairs. The tartan was MacKay, but of a lighter shade than is worn today. Officers and sergeants wore sporrans with six white tassels with silver 'bells'. The rank and file wore goatskin sporrans, with black tassels and white metal 'bells', and with plain white metal tops. Drummers wore 'reversed colours' - light blue jackets with red facings, with lac on the sleeves and down the back.
Embodied at Fort George in 1795.
Served in Ireland during the rebellion.
A Military Band was formed in 1800, wore white jackets faced light blue.
Disbanded in 1802.

1798 - Reay Fencibles fought at the Battle of Tara Hill, near Dublin

Cheers

Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 12 November 05 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Just a reminder to let anyone out there researching in Durness know, I am happy to help with your research in the Durness Parish Register. Havent had any posts on this topic since September so I thought I would remind you all.

Cheers

Andy
Surname Interests.

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register - RANKEN
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 13 November 05 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Andy,

here's one for you to work on thanks.  Interested in what you can find out about this family.  My John McMILLAN in Australia named one of his children Gillespie Ranken.

GILLESPIE RANKEN OR MC LEOD
Christening: 15 APR 1819 Durness, Sutherland, Scotland   
 Parents:   Father:    ANGUS RANKEN   
                Mother:    ELSPAT MC LEOD

Christine
Australia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline filplant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Andy,

Many thanks for your efforts.

Any idea why there are so many Campbells in Durness? I thought the Campbell heartlands were in the south west of Scotland. Also, where they involved in the Highland Clearances? If so, on what side?

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 20 November 05 09:06 GMT (UK) »
HI everyone

Have got to go away to work for a few days but will look into the last two posts once I get back.

Hope this is okay.

Andy
Surname Interests.

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 01 December 05 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

Have looked and looked through the register and through the Sutherland MI's but have been unable to trace any Angus Ranken or Elspat MacLeod. If you have any additional information that might help I will happily search through again.

Sorry for the delay and the disappointing news.

Andy
Surname Interests.