Author Topic: Durness Parish Register  (Read 163801 times)

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #63 on: Friday 02 December 05 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy,

as always, your efforts are much appreciated, even negative results are results  ;D  I think this lot were blow ins like my McMillan family. 

regards
Christine
Australia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 02 December 05 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Andy
I am looking for John Gunn who married a Margaret McA??They were the parents of John Gunn married in Durness in 1851 died Durness 1894. He married Elizabeth, Betsy, Bessie, Bessy Gunn same surname before and after marriage. Bessie was born in Eddrachillis don't know when, died Durness 1892
Any help would be appreciated.
they were my great  grandparents and great great grandparents.
Wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline Donald NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 20 December 05 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andy
I am impressed with the number of persons you have already assisted with Durness look ups, and now hope you can do one for me.
The persons are; Alexander Morrison, this is all I know of him and I do not know who he married, I assume he married around the pre 1791 period.
He had two sons, Donald and George, plus probably other family.

Son: Donald Morrison, born about 1792, Durness, married Marion Mackay on 14 Sept 1813
Marian’s parents were George Mackay born Port Chamil, abt. 1747 and Margaret Mackay, born at Hunleam, abt. 1761, they were married at Durness on 17 Dec. 1777

Son: George Morrison, born about 1796, married Barbara Calder, George may have been born in Arnaboll.

Any onfo on them, most appreciated.
Best wishes
Donald NZ
Mackay of Slannes, Clashneach, Hunleam & general Melness area.
Morrison of Kinlochbervie, Achriesgill, Strathmore, and general Melness area
Ross and McKenzie of Achriesgill, & general Kinlochbervie area.

Offline Donald NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 22 December 05 05:42 GMT (UK) »
re: searching for the birth of Lieut. Donald Mackay, son of John, son of Donald, son of William oig.
Donald married Isobel Mackay, daughter of John of Borley, son of Donald, son of George on 7 May 1793
An estimate of his birth date is around 1765which makes it a marginal finding date.

Hello Andy
Re; your posting: Wednesday 10 August
My full apologies for being unable to get straight back to you
Thank you for the info and you have the right Donald on those two marriages. However I am unaware of Donald having any other marriages. What I have been trying to prove is a DOB for him
I do not have a DOB of his wife Sybella Thomson, but have a Christening for her of 28 SEP 1777 at Durness, Sutherland, Scotland
I have not yet started on Sybella’s parents Rev John Thomson and Christian Mackenzie, so any info you wish to provide will be most appreciated.

Relating to John of Borley. I have an approximate 1749 marriage to wife Marian Mackay, born abt. 1729, daughter of Donald Mackay of  Clashneach and Barbara Sutherland.
This Donald Mackay of Clashneach has been a problem for me over a very long time, although he has been mentioned in several historical books his history and in particular his second marriage to Mary, daughter of John of Musal or Clashneach and Catherine Mackay of Melness, is most vague.

Re: John of Borley and wife Marian. Their first born on 28/5/1771 was a son named Donald. As the next son born on 12/6/1775 was also named Donald. it is probable the first Donald born died before he was four years old. The second Donald was later known as Donald of Sheigra.

The Durness Parish Register at the time of daughter Mary's birth, gives John's alias as "Mac dhol ic orish skerry", confirming his lineage as son of Donald, son of George of Skerray.  George being the youngest son of Hector and Barbara.

I have established five children to John and Marian, being; Donald, Isabel, Donald, Ann and Mary, with their birth dates recorded in the "Durness Parish Register", In each instance, the parent has been described as John Mackay in Borley. There is no mention of John's wife.

Andy; your mention of “Let me know what you would like me to post”. Any information you can add to the above would be great.
Extra special Best Wishes to you, particularly for the way you have assisted so many persons throughout the year.
Donald NZ

Offline Julina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 06 January 06 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I was hoping you could help with my dead end I have reached.

Would you have any info on,

John Paterson, born 1801? who married Elizabeth Douglas born 1806.
They had 3 children that I know of - Anthony Paterson, George Paterson and John William Paterson.
They were farming in the Sutherland area.

What I am looking for would be anything older than that and if there were more children.

Hope you can help, thanks.

Offline Julina

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 06 January 06 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael. re John Paterson who Married Elizabeth Douglas...
John,b13Dec1800@Beanley Eglingham, Northumberland[Eng]married 9 nov 1827 to ElizabethDouglas ch21Jan1806at Thurso Caithness[second child of George Doughlas & Elizabeth McIntosh]They emigrated to NZon the Robert Henderson in1862..farmed at Otepopo-now Herbert.        John d-23May1877; Eliz.d-31Aug 1884.
Family-1-Janet-b1828; 2-Isabella[Elizabeth]b1830.at Durness.d1902,NZ; 3-Jane ch1833Farr,Caithness..b7Spt '33@Achinah; 4-Anthony b28April'39,@Durness,d NZ;  5-JohnWilliam b-c1842,Durness, d-NZ; George -b1843,Durness ,dNZ; 7 Helen.
i'm,des.from George.
Johns father-- Anthony b22 March1775 atOxnam-Mains m Jane Grecian,[d of James Grecian & Eleanor Steel]on11May1796. He died 18Jan1856 at Kennachy. He wasa shepherd.JANE  b-8 April1886at Glanton,Northumberland; d-5 Aug 1842 at Kennachy.ch--1-Jamesb-25Aug, 1796 Beanly[emigr. to Australia] 2- Andrew,b-30 June 1798 Beanly ;Northumberland,3-John b13 Dec Beanly[mEliz Douglas] 4- Eleanor b 19 Sept 1803 Shipley, 5-Michael b 18Dec 1805, Beanly; 6-Jane b 2Nov 1810 Beanly; 7-Thomas b c15Oct1815 at Farr; 8-Mary b 29April1809 Beanly.
Anthony's dad-James, b at Mosshouses, ch-23Oct 1746 at Melrose; m Ann Hall [d of Anthony Hall & Isobel Michelson ]
Ann ch - 10 May1747 st Scotland. Anthony d-Sept 1815 Sandiestanes buried Ancrum Roxborough.
children-1Thomas b11 June 1771; 2-Anthony-3-John b 19June1779 OxnamMains .
father of James was Thomas born Scotland m Janet Paterson 2 Nov 1745 at Melrose Caithness.children-1-Jamesb1746   ; 2-Janet ch2May1749;3-Thomas ch 21Aug 1751; 4-Margaret ch 8Dec 1755; 7-Agnes-ch7 Nov 1758.
Father of Thomas was James who married Margaret?? It is not known if there were chidren other than Thomas. Cheers!!

Offline Donald NZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 13 January 06 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andy
On looking back through James posting  # 40  4 Aug 05
Your Reply # 45
and James Reply # 47

What is most interesting with this one is that in the 1841 census, it shows:
Hector Mackay,  Head, born abt 1766
Janet    Mackay, Wife, born abt 1781
John    Mackay,  son in law,  born abt 1796
Margaret Mackay, daughter, born abt 1801
Effy     Mackay, daughter, born abt. 1806

That in your reply #45, you listed a baptism of John 6/12/1795 to Hector MacKay and Janet MacKintosh. The interesting aspect being that they had in the 1841 census a son in law of the same first name and  approximate age of their son.

Were there any patronymics associated with any of the names you mentioned in your Reply #45?
Also; would any of the other family members mentioned in the above census have a christening that mentions patronymics?
With luck there could be some helpful information available to James through patronymics, particularly if three generations were involved.

I seem to recollect there being a Hugh Mackay of Badnahachlash, son of a John Mackay of Melness, This Hugh would have been of a similar age to Hector, could they have been brother’s?

Best New Year wishes to you Andy
Donald NZ

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 13 January 06 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

I am very impressed in the information you have already been so kind to give others in this forum.  I have just found this forum this evening.

I am interested in what information the DPR has on the DINGWALL family of Durness. 

Niel Dingwall, son of Alexander Dingwall and Christian MacKay.  Niel married Merran McLeod in Durness in 1827.  Anything on his siblings, parents and anything else would be very helpful.

Thanks
Jeni, Aotearoa/New Zealand   :)
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline Mackay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 13 January 06 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Andy old chap,
I need a second opinion and wonder if you could do me a favour and look up the first entry for 1803, it reads;
Hector McKay, Strathan and Janet McIntosh, his wife had a son baptizes Jan. 1803 named ???? (It should be Angus but this is where I need your help as my copy has a bit of a smudge on it right in this place). Hope things are well with you.
Best Regards,
James Mackay