Author Topic: Bentham Family of Thornton Bradford  (Read 6466 times)

Offline bradford girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bentham Family of Thornton Bradford
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi A newcomer to research - I am looking into family living in Cote Gap Farm Allerton and then Salt Pie Farm Thornton, Bradford. Have got back to Thomas Bentham 1855 and married to Hannah Craven1839 ( dau Abraham Craven 1801).  My gr grandmother was Dinah Craven Bentham, and I know that her cousins were 'maiden ladies' and the name seems to have died out with them. Would be most grateful for any advice or help Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Bentham Family of Thornton Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Think you mean 1833 
Have got back to Thomas Bentham 1855

I will post 1881 details for Thornton in Bradford just for reference purposes.  All b Thornton unless shown otherwise

Thomas Bentham 48 b Allerton agric labourer
Hannah   41
Sarah Ann 21 b Allerton
Hiram C 19
Abraham   11
Dinah C 9
Willie  7
Mary H 3
Lily 1
RG11 Piece 4468 Folio 124 Page 1

Hiram & Willie were unmarried in 1901 and still with parents.  Abraham was married but no sons - only daughters

Hiram married in 1912 to Fanny Rowlands but I can't find any children born to them unless Fanny was previously married in which case her true maiden name would show on the entry

I think Willie married in 1919 to Annie Lee but it looks as though they had 2 daughters and then a son b 1925

I cannot post details of that birth here in case he is still alive but you can find it on http://freebmd.rootsweb.com by searching surname Bentham spouse/mothers name Lee
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bradford girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks for your help - also for the link to bmd using rootschat.  The info fits in with, and extends  the knowledge I had from family when I was a child.   

Offline gortrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 June 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
I have Hannah Craven born 1839 daughter of Abraham Craven and Dinah Drake who married 1823 Bradford Parish Church.  Hannah was one of 8 children

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 June 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi   Hannah Craven (married to Thomas Bentham)was my g g grandmother.  Mother of Dinah Craven Bentham (1872 -1923) who married Wright Driver.   I remember visiting Abraham Bentham's daughters , Hannah's grandchildren, (Susannah, Lily and Annie, and also Hilda the only one who married, but no children) as elderly ladies.  They were cousins of my grandmother Doris Driver, Dinah's daughter.  Do you think we may have a 'fit'?  Kind regards, Brenda

Offline gortrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 June 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Although I can find the marriage of Wright Driver and Dinah Craven Bentham 1900 I cannot find a record of the marriage of Hannah Craven and Thomas Bentham

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 June 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Like you I could not find their marriage on Parish records.  Hannah Craven of the right birthdate and Thomas Bentham were married in Bradford 1860 and on same page of the marriage register.  Hannah is removed from Craven household by the 1861 census and appears with Thomas Bentham on that census in own household.  They then use 'family names' eg Abraham, Dinah, Hiram for their children. I am very new to family research and as yet using only online documents - perhaps time to buy my first certificate!  If you have any info to share to disprove or verify,  I should be most grateful

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 June 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
There is a possible marriage of Hannah Craven and Thomas Bentham in Bradford, Sep qtr 1857, 9b page 106. FreeBMD has Thomas question mark of 9b 10/6, but looking at the original page its 9b 106 same as Hannah Craven.

The Thomas Bentham in Jun 1860 is 9b page 115, the Hannah Craven is 9b page 155.

There is a baptism of a Thomas Bentham at Kipping Independent Chapel in Thornton, born Feb 21st, baptised April 24th 1832, son of Jonas and Betty Bentham. You may need the marriage cert to confirm Jonas is the right father.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Bridgebabe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 June 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
Thank you so much. As you suggest I will invest in my first certificate!  The dates you give do appear to tally.  I have gone back to Jonas Bentham, 1792 and married to Elizabeth 'Betty'Drake. Different name spelling in the various censuses (Benthan 1841, Beetham1851, Benthan1861) and do thank other rootschat members also who put me on the path with these.  I have a death date freeBMD of 1864 in Halifax as he was living in Northowram in 1861 census.
 An intriguing element I have found is there are 2 Jonas Bentham 's around at this time- similar dates, generally similar area (Bradford/ Thornton/ Halifax via Northowram)   (Mine, I think, is married to Betty Drake, and one other with wife Rachel)
I have found in Criminal Registers that there was a Jonas Bentham who was in 1830 prosecuted and found not guilty and then in 1833 prosecuted , found guilty and imprisoned /whipped.  Any advice as to how to found out if he was mine, much appreciated.  Many thanks, Brenda