Author Topic: Bentham Family of Thornton Bradford  (Read 6465 times)

Offline gortrev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bentham Family of Thornton Bradford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 June 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi A newcomer to research - I am looking into family living in Cote Gap Farm Allerton and then Salt Pie Farm Thornton, Bradford. Have got back to Thomas Bentham 1855 and married to Hannah Craven1839 ( dau Abraham Craven 1801).  My gr grandmother was Dinah Craven Bentham, and I know that her cousins were 'maiden ladies' and the name seems to have died out with them. Would be most grateful for any advice or help Thanks
Hi Alan,
Thank you so much. As you suggest I will invest in my first certificate! The dates you give do appear to tally. I have gone back to Jonas Bentham, 1792 and married to Elizabeth 'Betty'Drake. Different name spelling in the various censuses (Benthan 1841, Beetham1851, Benthan1861) and do thank other rootschat members also who put me on the path with these. I have a death date freeBMD of 1864 in Halifax as he was living in Northowram in 1861 census.
 An intriguing element I have found is there are 2 Jonas Bentham 's around at this time- similar dates, generally similar area (Bradford/ Thornton/ Halifax via Northowram) (Mine, I think, is married to Betty Drake, and one other with wife Rachel)
I have found in Criminal Registers that there was a Jonas Bentham who was in 1830 prosecuted and found not guilty and then in 1833 prosecuted , found guilty and imprisoned /whipped. Any advice as to how to found out if he was mine, much appreciated. Many thanks, Brenda

Offline gortrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 June 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hi A newcomer to research - I am looking into family living in Cote Gap Farm Allerton and then Salt Pie Farm Thornton, Bradford. Have got back to Thomas Bentham 1855 and married to Hannah Craven1839 ( dau Abraham Craven 1801).  My gr grandmother was Dinah Craven Bentham, and I know that her cousins were 'maiden ladies' and the name seems to have died out with them. Would be most grateful for any advice or help Thanks
Hi Alan,
Thank you so much. As you suggest I will invest in my first certificate! The dates you give do appear to tally. I have gone back to Jonas Bentham, 1792 and married to Elizabeth 'Betty'Drake. Different name spelling in the various censuses (Benthan 1841, Beetham1851, Benthan1861) and do thank other rootschat members also who put me on the path with these. I have a death date freeBMD of 1864 in Halifax as he was living in Northowram in 1861 census.
 An intriguing element I have found is there are 2 Jonas Bentham 's around at this time- similar dates, generally similar area (Bradford/ Thornton/ Halifax via Northowram) (Mine, I think, is married to Betty Drake, and one other with wife Rachel)
I have found in Criminal Registers that there was a Jonas Bentham who was in 1830 prosecuted and found not guilty and then in 1833 prosecuted , found guilty and imprisoned /whipped. Any advice as to how to found out if he was mine, much appreciated. Many thanks, Brenda

Offline gortrev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 June 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested to hear the results of your search for the marriage certificate.

Offline suski1304

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 June 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in the Jonas Bentham who married Betty Drake.  It is possible he may be the brother of my ancestor. 

I am researching James Bentham, who was born in Thornton around 1796.  All I know for sure is that he married a woman named Mary and had the following children:

Susannah Bentham b. 11 Oct 1821, bap. 02 Jan 1822, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Hannah Bentham b. 21 Oct 1825, bap. 02 Jan 1826, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Jonas Bentham b. 28 Dec 1827, bap. 07 Apr 1828, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Mary Ann Bentham b. unknown, bap. 15 Feb 1831, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Grace Bentham b. 01 Dec 1832, bap. 09 Apr 1833, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Martha Bentham b. 07 Jul 1836, bap. 10 Aug 1836, Kipping Ind, Thornton
Miranda Bentham b. Mar 1842, bap. unknown in Bradford, Yorkshire, England

Miranda Bentham (mar. Major Akam) is my great great grandmother.

I have found a birth record for James Bentham, son of Jonas, b. 04 Nov 1795 in Thornton.  There was no mother listed on the information I found, however, I do see three other records for children born to Jonas around the same time, and one of them lists a mother Ann Greenwood.  The children are: Jonas (b. 04 Oct 1792), Grace (b. 05 Jul 1799) and Sarah (b. 1802).  All three in Thornton.

I have also found a marriage record for James Bentham to Mary Drake, m 21 May 1821 in Thornton.  However, this would be only about 5 months before their oldest child's birth.  It is possible that Mary Drake and Elizabeth (Betty) Drake were sisters.  Much conjecture, but their parents could be Jonas and Nanny Bentham of Thornton. 

Regarding Jonas Bentham and Elizabeth Drake: their marriage is listed as 12 Oct 1829.  No parents listed online.  I have found 5 possible children, all listed as the children as Jonas and Betty Bentham: James bap. 3 Jan 1831, Thomas bap. 24 Apr 1832, Joseph, Lydia and Samuel, all bap. 4 Apr 1836.  Nothing indicates whether they were triplets, or just baptized on the same day. 

Most of this information comes from the FamilySearch pilot site.  I have not viewed the actual records.  I am anxious to do that, to see if there is any additional information.

Susan

Offline MamaCath

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 October 22 19:00 BST (UK) »
I came upon this quite by chance when trying to find out about Salt Pie Farm in Thornton Bradford.
My mother was born Inez Bentham in Allerton in 1922.  She died in 2002 and not long before she died I took her to the 100th birthday celebration of her cousin Lucy who I’m told had lived at Salt Pie Farm all her life. I’m afraid I know nothing more about her and until this point wasn’t even aware of her existence!