Author Topic: Old Irish couple's daughter brill photo date and restore COMPLETE  (Read 3621 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Irish couple's daughter brill photo date and restore
« Reply #18 on: Friday 07 May 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
Everytime a .jpg is saved it compresses, so some colour definition is lost.  It wouldn't be too noticeable initially but if you kept saving the file their would be a marked difference. 

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline irish swallow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 07 May 10 09:52 BST (UK) »
What can I say - this is another brill day  ;D as usual you all take my breath away - they are all so beautiful - I think my contact in US will be astonished when I send  this photo  back to him. But I can't decide which one so I'm going to have to send them all and let him chose - a big clap on the back to all of you - MAGNIFICANT is the least I can say.

Jst read your post re jpg files - does that mean if I keep opening a file to look at it then close it - it loses definition - so would I be better saying important photos like this one that can't be replaced  as bitmap or is there another format which is better than jpg.

Now I am being cheeky - saying thanks and asking questions at same time

Yvonne

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
You're not being cheeky at all.  Providing you don't save your photo, opening and closing is fine.  Best bet is to download the pic from the board and then once it's on your PC, file save as .tif or .bmp.  Files saved as .tif do not compress and therefore retain their quality.

I have a saved scan of all my photos as .tif files, scanned at the highest dpi setting available on my scanner (I only recommend 300 dpi for Rootschat because of file size restrictions and the problems people have resizing to fit on here). That way, you will always have a top quality scan of the original for safe keeping.

Unfortunately, this creates a massive file which will eat up your disk storage space, but I purchased a separate hard drive on which I store all my photos and I've told everyone, if there's a fire, grab the hard drive and run!  The drive only cost me AUS$150, which when you think of how precious your photos are and totally irreplaceable, it was worth every cent.

Glad you like the pics.

Caroline

PS  Lovely job Carolyn!

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline irish swallow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Irish couple's daughter brill photo date and restore COMPLETE
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Caroline

I agree with you ++++ about photos - I have mine saved on two back up disks and I keep one in a cousins house and update it once a month when I visit her - to be sure - to be sure you know !!!!  I have saved this one as tif fie and will do that with all in future - thanks for the tip

Re this picture - My contact was so pleased to know that the brill pic of the old Irish couple's kids was in fact his great grandparents - thanks to Jim for the dating - and he says to thank everyone who worked on the photo - he is over the moon with the restoration work. Now he has asked me to ask you wonderful people can you improve his pic of the couple in their early years. Will post it separately.

Yvonne