Author Topic: Social history information about Dublin dock area?  (Read 23846 times)

Offline aphilena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Social history information about Dublin dock area?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 February 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
hi

I am looking for details of a Bridget Murphy who was born in 1877. She had a sister and brother who were born in 1878/76. with an address of 19 Sandwith Place. This was her Mother's 2nd family.

Her Mother married a James McKeon in 1868, he has an address of 23 Sandwith Place, the Mother Margaret Darcy has an address of 27 Gt. Clarence place, and a year later an address of 1 Clarence Place, where bridget's stepbrother Michael was born.

I find your details about this area very interesting, and wondering would you have ant insights on these addresses.  Thanking you. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Sandwith Place was off Sandwith Street, but unfortunately it's not listed in the street listings on Thom's 1877 or 1879, which sometimes happens with the smaller side streets and lanes, especially if there were no businesses, public buildings or prominent individuals living on the street.

You can see Sandwith place just north of Gt. Brunswick Street (now Pearse St.) on the c1890 OSI map - Sandwith Place  (select the 25" historic option for a c1890 map)

The earliest details I've found for Sandwith Place are from the building returns on the 1901 census - although the street could have changed a bit by then. In 1901 there were about 39 buildings, most of which seem to be smallish houses with 1, 2 or 3 windows in the front, many of which are shared by 3 or more families.

There doesn't appear to be any businesses or shops on the street at that time. In 1901 there are total of 62 families living on the street consisting of 304 people.

Great Clarence place was off South Great Clarance Street (there's another Clarence St northside) off Grand Canal street. It's the opposite side of Gt. Brunswick Street - so very close to Sandwith Place. see Great Clarence Place

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aphilena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Sandwith Place was off Sandwith Street, but unfortunately it's not listed in the street listings on Thom's 1877 or 1879, which sometimes happens with the smaller side streets and lanes, especially if there were no businesses, public buildings or prominent individuals living on the street.

You can see Sandwith place just north of Gt. Brunswick Street (now Pearse St.) on the c1890 OSI map - Sandwith Place  (select the 25" historic option for a c1890 map)

The earliest details I've found for Sandwith Place are from the building returns on the 1901 census - although the street could have changed a bit by then. In 1901 there were about 39 buildings, most of which seem to be smallish houses with 1, 2 or 3 windows in the front, many of which are shared by 3 or more families.

There doesn't appear to be any businesses or shops on the street at that time. In 1901 there are total of 62 families living on the street consisting of 304 people.

Great Clarence place was off South Great Clarance Street (there's another Clarence St northside) off Grand Canal street. It's the opposite side of Gt. Brunswick Street - so very close to Sandwith Place. see Gtreat Clarence Place

C
Shane

Thank you Shane for that information.

Offline aphilena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Shane

Thank you for that information.

Offline Colleen Elizabeth Cassidy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 August 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Funny you should mention Clarence and Sandwich. My family (Kenny &  Mulville) was listed at those addresses as well.

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 14:08 BST (UK) »
M father's family  Dolan were living in 45 Clarence Street South Docks for the 1911 census now Macken Street iI understand Anyone got a details map for that are a and time
Jim

https://www.dublinhistoricmaps.ie/boundaries/1901-1911-census-divisions/index.html
to check electoral divisions, float mouse cursor over area of 25-inch map to identify its DED

Heh, didn't realise I was replying to a 21-year-old post! Oh well, if you see it and if you're in Dublin, maybe take the Old Liffey Ferry Tour - they bring groups around the docks in the little ferryboat that was used to cross the river until recently, with local people doing the guiding.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 15:28 BST (UK) »

Heh, didn't realise I was replying to a 21-year-old post!

My maths says its a 13 year old thread  ;D ;D

Thomas Cassin (also spelt Casson, Cassins) and Sarah Carter are my Great Grandparents.

Thomas CASSAN married Sarah CARTER on 24 January 1869 in south Dublin.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11410/8190475.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 15:43 BST (UK) »

==

Maths isn't my strong point! Quote from: dolan64 on Thursday 02 February 12 14:08 GMT (UK)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 August 23 16:14 BST (UK) »

==

Maths isn't my strong point! Quote from: dolan64 on Thursday 02 February 12 14:08 GMT (UK)

??? ???

Something got mixed up here.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo