Author Topic: Social history information about Dublin dock area?  (Read 23845 times)

Offline NATHANSGRANDAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Social history information about Dublin dock area?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
thanks shane i beleive james fewings lived at 44 clarence st bridget fewings nee masterson lived at15 grenville st kathleen fanning lived at 16 north cumberland st born 1899 adopted or taken in by my grandparents not sure they were married in dublin about april 1899 a mystery to me cheers  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
....Thomas Cassen married Sarah Carter on 24/01/1869 (He was of 6, Leary's Cottages, she of 34 Sir Johns Quay).
Their children were:
Anne Casson 1869; 7 Leary's Place
Hanna Cassins 1871; 34 Sir Johns Quay
Sarah Cassin 1874: 16 Clarence Place
Patrick Cassin 1875: 16 Clarence Place.

Leary's place is listed as being off Townsend St, but no details are included in Thom's ('77).  The Townsend St listing does not mention where the junction with Leary's place was located. I suspect Leary's cottages would have possibly been near to this. Townsend St - mostly businesses and shops (all kinds)

The 1877 listing for no. 34 Rogerson's Quay/Sir John Rogersons Quay has P. Slevin, boot and shoe maker. Other nearby addresses include a corn merchant, ship smith, grocer & spirit merch, timber & slate stores, patent rope manuf. & Russian merch., ship broker, oyster merch. etc. I dont see any tenements on the street at that time, so it does appear to be a reasonable (but probably very busy) area to live.

Details of Clarence place are not listed, but the street it is off (Gt. Clarence St South) looks to me like nice mix of private houses, shops and businesses. The Grand Canal Street end has a grocer, a few stone masons, carpenters etc. Most of the rest of the street is occupied by private residents including an inspector with the DMP (police). Quite a few do not have occupations listed which usually means they are  well off.

The streets which are not listed in Thom's directories were usually the slightly less well off side streets, with just smaller tenements or cottages, and no businesses, shops or prominent residents.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 May 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
thanks shane i beleive james fewings lived at 44 clarence st bridget fewings nee masterson lived at15 grenville st kathleen fanning lived at 16 north cumberland st born 1899 adopted or taken in by my grandparents not sure they were married in dublin about april 1899 a mystery to me cheers  :)

There's actually two Clarence streets, one on either side of the Liffey and some distance apart.

North Great Clarence St - from North Strand to Summer Hill
 South Great Clarence St - from Grand Canal St to Brunswick St

The Nrt Gt. Clarence St would be nearer to the other locations you mentioned. You may be able to tell which one applies as the registration district on any certs will either be Dublin North or South to match the street.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
attached an extract from the 1885 map showing Grenville street and North Cumberland st along with North Great Clarence St

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
... i beleive james fewings lived at 44 clarence st
....bridget fewings nee masterson lived at15 grenville st ........
....not sure they were married in dublin about april 1899 ...

there's  possible marriage for James and Bridget on the Civil index in 1899, that might be worth a try :

Name: James Richard Fewings
 Registration District: Dublin North
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1899
 Volume : 2 / Page : 476

Name: Bridget Masterson
 [same index details]

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 May 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Leary's Place was just by No.92 Townsend Street (per Thoms 1911). I have no entries of interest to you except general property entries but the following from my Irish Times source work may be of interest:
    4/2/1876 Page 3 Law Report   Thomas Casson   - granted alchol licence
    27/10/1876 Page 3 Law Report Thomas Cassin  - denied alchol licence       and see 19/1/1877 Page 3 Law Report

Both the above entries relate to No.16 Clarence Place. The following may be of interest to you but the only address I have is Cumberland Street (North or South ??)
  12th December 1866   Mr Fanning- arrested for Fenian Activity.

Regards     Quaxer

Offline NATHANSGRANDAD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 May 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
thanks quaxer and shane could you point me in the right direction to obtain b/d/m certificates in Dublin thank you  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 07 May 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
.... could you point me in the right direction to obtain b/d/m certificates in Dublin thank you 

see the Topic : 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on searching the BMD index, ordering certs etc

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 May 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks so much for all the info. Its fascinating! The area sounds really lively and interesting! Its nice to imagine people living positive lives!! I think I'll see if I can find books with any old photo's of the area

I had a look for the book Oaks and Acorns suggested but it was £82 on amazon which is a bit more than I can afford! I'll have to keep my eyes open in second hand bookshops

The news about the alcohol license is really interesting. I wonder why a license was granted then revoked 8 months later?

Im afraid I havent come across and Fewings, Mastersons or Fannings in my family tree yet. I dont know much about the history of Dublin either (although Im determined to find out more!) so Im afraid I cant contribute much Nathansgrandad  :(

Thanks to all ;D

AH
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle