Author Topic: TRU(E)BODY in Australia  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Truebody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TRU(E)BODY in Australia
« on: Thursday 06 May 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find people called Trubody or Truebody in Australia.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tru(e)body in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here's the URL for residential entries in the phone book - I think there are 13 entries

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TRU(E)BODY in Australia
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Trubody,

Are you looking for a particular family by the name?

If so, what has been your starting point.?  I can see of course that you are of the family yourself.

If you are hoping for help with a family tree, could you tell us what information you already have.

On the other hand, perhaps you are just wanting to list Trubody 's  in Australia.  In which case the Directory is indeed the best bet.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Truebody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
I run a website - www.trubody.co.uk - that I have set up to log every Tru(e)body that has ever lived. There is a page dedicated to Australia which inclludes all the data that I have so far collected.
Unlike the UK, Australia doesn't seem to have an open system of searching for BMD like FindMyPast. My hope is to find an Australian Tru(e)body who is also interested in the family name and its members who will help me complete the trees that I have started so far.
I am not looking for personal info, just names, places and dates although it would be nice to discover what was the reason behind the patriarchs emigrating to Aus in the first place.

Offline aniph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Each state has it's own BDM. See resources section for links. Most are free to search.

There are several trees on Ancestry with Australian Tru(e)body's.

Annie
Phillips Galway>NZ
Flanagan Queens County>VIC>NZ
Bullock Bristol>Aus
Bury Shropshire>Aus
Maher Kings County>Aus
Pavletich Croatia>VIC>NZ
Delargy  Antrim & NZ

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 10 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can't really see from your site what you actually have

Here are some early arrivals of some siblings may be of interest and some items from the Police Gazette to add a bit of colour.

Sarah A TRUEBODY arrived in Sydney 24 Jun 1864 aboard the SANDRINGHAM. She was aged 24, a housemaid from Sysson Gloucestershire. Parents Thomas and Hannah in Newcastle NSW. She could read. Religion C/E.

Leonard TRUEBODY arrived in Sydney 10 May 1863 aboard the PERSIA He was aged 17 a miner from Bristol parents Thomas and Hannah C/E could read and write. £5 paid by William Truebody

Elizabeth TRUEBODY arrived in Sydney 10 May 1863 aboard the PERSIAShe was aged 22 from Bristol, parents Thomas and Hannah, Bristol. Wesleyan. Relative in the colony - Brother William Truebody Wallsend (he paid £3 for her fare)

Police Gazette 15 Jun 1868

Prisoners Discharged from Prison

TRUBODY Thomas 1 month labour tried at Newcastle 28 May 1868 Native Place England born 1812, 5'`10 1/2, sallow comp-lexion, light brown hair, brown eyes arrived in 1863 aboard the CLARA

Police Gazette 8 Jan 1872

Stolen, on the 25th ultimo, from Wallsend Colliery, the property of the Newcastle and Wallsend Coal Company, 120 metal tokens used by coal miners when working in the pits. Mr. J. F. Neilson, the manager, offers £20 reward on conviction of the offenders. Suspicion attached to Leonard Truebody and William Horne, discharged miners.

Police Gazette 31 Jan 1872

Joseph Lee, Leonard Truebody, and James Chapman, charged with attempting to commit a rape on the person of Catherine Shoesmith, have been arrested by Constable Leonard, Wallsend Police. Lee and Truebody committed for trial at Maitland Quarter Sessions ; bail allowed, selves in £80, and two sureties £40 each. Chapman discharged.

Also mention in list of prisoners discharged in September 1872 - George being discharged free from Darlinghurst

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 May 10 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

The TRUBODY name appears mostly in the state of New South Wales.

Search here for cemetery records, which include headstone incscriptions,  for Thomas, Anna, George, William and Hester TRUBODY at the Old Wallsend Cemetery
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08n2/

There are also burials at the Wallsend General Cemetery which I think is also known as West Wallsend General Cemetery.
TRUBODY Albert Charles  30 Mar 1885
TRUBODY Ann Alenor  16 Dec 1886
TRUBODY Hannah  28 Aug 1869
TRUBODY Leonard  17 Jul 1884

There is a website that lists the MI's for the West Wallsend but the TRUBODY name is not listed.
http://austcemindex.com/cemetery.php?id=243

Ancestry has the some of the  Australian Electoral Rolls online from 1900 to 1954 - not all years are available for NSW.

In 1903 in New South Wales
TRUBODY Annie   Summer Street, Orange  Domestic Duties
TRUBODY Charles  Summer Street, Orange   Shopkeeper
TRUBODY William  106 New Street, Newcastle   Boat salesman

You can also search here for news items etc.
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 May 10 00:57 BST (UK) »
TRUBODY Thomas, East Maitland  Crime Assault  One month's hard labour. Date tried 30 May 1868.  Native of England.  Occupation Labourer  Born 1800.  5'4½"  Sallow complexion, grey hair and hazel eyes.  Ship HAVEAH

A search of the available directories shows a Charles TRUBODY as a bootmaker in Nowra from 1895 to 1913 when he has moved to 130 Liverpool Road, Ashfield, Sydney.

Search here for more TRUBODY records
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/keyname_search.asp

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 May 10 01:07 BST (UK) »
it would be nice to discover what was the reason behind the patriarchs emigrating to Aus in the first place. TRUEBODY

Well, not everyone came because they wanted to. ;) ;) ;)

These are links to search pages of early
Tasmanian convicts, settlers and other matters of their lives .

ELIZABETH TRUEBODY was a convict

She applied to marry.

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=11

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=5

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk