Author Topic: Rev. Arthur Wellesley ORR  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rev. Arthur Wellesley ORR
« on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information on the death of Arthur Wellesey ORR who served as Vicar of St. Paul's Church in Kingston-on-Hill, Kingston-on-Thames from 1923 onwards.  I am having a difficult time finding his date of death and where he was buried.  He was born 1885 - birth registered Cheshire/Merseyside and was the son of Rev. John ORR of Ireland and Catherine Emily RAWSON of Nottingham.  I have Arthur W. on the 1891 census with his parents and siblings.  His father was the Vicar of Asted in Aston, Birmingham.  In 1901, Arthur is still in Aston with his family.  Arthur W. married in 1912.  His wife was Olive Clayton SMITH, formerly of Southport, Lancs.  Hers is another death I am unable to find.

In 1941, Rev. ORR received the George Medal, bar to the British Empire Medal, for his work in Civil Defence.  I have been able to follow him right up to 23 October 1952 when he assisted at a memorial service for Dr. W. E. St. L. Finny, former mayor of Kingston-on-Thames.   Rev. ORR was then a Canon.  This man is a blank after 1952. 

I have tried writing St. Paul's but have not heard back from them.

Someone gave me a death registration dated 1971 along with what looks to be a BMD ref. (5c 2047).  However, I am unable to confirm this and can't reach the person who gave it to me.

I would be so grateful for any help regarding Rev. ORR's death/burial and that of his wife.

Dorothy
Ottawa, Canada

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Arthur Wellesley ORR
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:51 BST (UK) »
Here it is

Arthur Wellesley Orr
born 18 June 1885

Death registration Dec 1/4 1971

Kingston Upon Thames, Greater London

Vol 5c page 2047

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:58 BST (UK) »
Olive Clayton Orr
Born 7 Dec 1882
Death registration Dec 1/4 1972 Surrey
Vol 5G page 303

On the original image there are some letters after Surrey which can't be read properly. Ancestry has transcribed them as Surrey Mid Eastern.
Having all the other details will be enough to order this certificate without putting Mid Eastern.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Rev. Arthur Wellesley ORR
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,

Thank you so much for the death information for both Canon ORR and his wife, Olive.  I see this information came from the British Archives.

I really appreciate it!

Dorothy

ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Crisane,

Thank you so much for the death information for Arthur W. ORR and his wife, Olive.  These references appear to have come from the National Archives.

Your help is much appreciated.

Dorothy

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 10 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Dorothy
The vol and page numbers are the General Register Office  (GRO) reference numbers.
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp 

They are the numbers you use to order the certificates.

Offline puzzlebunker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I hope you were successful in your search for information about Rev Arthur Wellesley Orr. Just in case you are still looking I thought I should mention that he conducted my parents wedding in Kingston in June 1959 and on the marriage certificate he is described as "Arthur Wellesley Orr, MBE, MA, Vicar of St Paul's Kingston Hill, Chaplain of Kingston Hospital, Canon of Southwark, Surrey"