Author Topic: NIXON/ROBINSON families of Westmeath  (Read 5993 times)

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NIXON/ROBINSON families of Westmeath
« on: Friday 07 May 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
MY GG Grandfather Henry Nixon came to Australia from Ireland in c1875.

I have been unable to identify many details of his life in Ireland. I am seeking advice on how to trace his parents and his elder brother John. Date of parents marriage, dates of death and date of birth/death for his brother are unknown to me.

Henry was born at Rosmead, Westmeath, in November 1850 and baptised at nearby Delvin in December 1850.

His father and mother were John and Mary Ann Nixon (Nee Robinson).

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated as I live in Sydney Australia.

I have attached a photo of Henry. I also have one of his mother taken about the same time (c1870).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NIXON/ROBINSON families of Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
There are only 5 Nixons listed under Westmeath in 1911 census including a John born c1849.
1901 census is due to be added June 2010 so perhaps when that's available you'll find other Nixons listed.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 May 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
See that you've already a thread on John Nixon and suspect he might have gone to U.S. so perhaps to one I found in 1911 is not Henry's brother  :-\

Offline ambyrne1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
The only Nixon's on Grrifths Valuation are below,

NIXON  JAMES  WESTMEATH  CASTLETOWNDELVIN       
NIXON  JOHN  WESTMEATH  KILLUCAN       
NIXON  WILLIAM  WESTMEATH  RATHGARVE 
Wilson: Kirkoswald, Scotland and Dublin
Breen: Hendrick Street, Brunswick Street,Dublin
Moore: Kildare and Dublin
lyons: Hendrick Street and Brunswick Street,Dublin
Donnelly: Marrowbone lane, Braithwaite street, Dublin
Byrne: Mercer Street, Dublin
Mills: Dublin, Wicklow
Higgins: Dublin
Gray: Aryshire, Scotland
Mills King, Wicklow and Dublin
Donegan, St Catherines Parish, Dublin
Murphy: Enniscorthy and Ballybanoge, Wexford
Browne, Crean, Kelly, Keavney: Sligo.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 May 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
from the Townland Database (www.thecore.com/seanruad) :

Townland : Rosmead and Cavestown
 Barony : Delvin   
 Civil Parish : Castletowndelvin       
 PLU : Castletowndelvin    
 County : Westmeath

look like that James Nixon ambyrne1 posted may be in exactly the right area of Westmeath for your Nixon family..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 May 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thank you all for the advice re Census and Griffiths Valuation and Townland info.

Yes the 1901 Census may shed some additional light but I suspect the mother and certainly the father were deceased by around that time. I have no knowledge of any other family members who may have still been in Ireland.

I am not too sure about a 'James Nixon' though, but maybe the name  John could be corrupted in written form to 'James'. Just a thought. Otherwise he may well be a distant relative of interest.

I have tried to track Henry's brother John through US records but without information concerning timing of arrival in USA and vessel name plus port of arrival its a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. US records appear to be quite fragmentary.

John's military record with the Royal Artillery (if it has survived) may be the key to tracing the family further in the historical record.

I have found  a wealth of information on Henry once he is in NSW - railway salary history card, Supreme court records for a divorce in 1889, newspaper clippings in 1889 and 1900, letters to a local council and to the editor of a major newspaper. His life here in NSW is covered for virtually every decade from 1875 until his death in 1932. Enough detail for a major article with a local historical society in fact.

Our National Library has recently digitised major newspapers in all Australian capital cities until the 1950s so tracing family details from 19th to 20th Centuries using that resource has become very easy. There are often articles published on Ireland obtained from Irish and English newspapers of the day.

Cheers

Offline hurley42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of Henry's Baptismal Certificate (an extract) dated 1898 (See below). It states that Henry was born on 27 November 1850 and baptised on 17 December 1850 by the Rector of Delvin one Coolie Mulloy and entered in the 'Book of Delvin".

If I assumed his brother John was born in the same district a few years before 1850 and baptised at the same church how would I obtain details of his birth ?

Cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Since the date is well before the start of civil registration of births you would need to see if the church records survive to find a record of his baptism (and possibly other siblings) there.

Here's some information on St. Mary's Parish Church, Delvin (Church of Ireland)-
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WM&regno=15308008
National Archives apparently have some records from the church on microfilm but I haven't found dates listed yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ynyseire/1278153851/
http://www.from-ireland.net/west/lewis/cdelvin.htm

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 May 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
The recent notes I have on records held in RCB Library show the following details for Delvin parish :

baptisms, marriages & burials from 1817

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests