Author Topic: NSW Lookup please. Death Cert of Elizabeth RILAT  (Read 5178 times)

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lookup please. Death Cert of Elizabeth RILAT
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Judb that was awesome thanks so much. I hadnt thought of elizabeth being mary's child. I really appreicate your help. I couldnt find that info and I had looked and looked....
take care
Sue
Fontaine (Pierre Francois) - Geneve Switzerland
Magnin (Marian or Jeanne) - Geneve Switzerland
Halliwell (James) - Bolton Lancashire. No record after WW1.
King (Edith Lillian) - Simla India

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:06 BST (UK) »

The other thing is I have no record of Harry and he looks like by dates Henry and Mary's son?
I've looked up NSW bdm but cant see anything there....

But then only 2 Hammonds were found born here and there were three. Henry Eli  b. 1856. Cant think they would be the same person.
So, Harry is missing!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Are these the two born here?
Rebecca in 1858,
Isaac C in 1860.
both with parents Henry and Mary A, born Parramatta

I see a death for Isaac C, 1934, Parramatta

Like you - cannot see any sign of Henry/Harry on NSW BMDs

He certainly fits dates to be Henry's son.

There are two conflicting records for Harry/Henry

Edit - not correct; Free BMD has a birth reg
Jun qr 1850   Henry Hammond reg at  Wayland  13 400

This looks like the correct reg:
 Mar quarter 1856 
 HAMMOND  Harry Heli    Thetford  Vol 4b p 416

IGI has this entry
Harry Ely HAMMOND  Birth: 16 JAN 1856 Caston,  with parents Henry Hammond and Mary Anne Cosley  BUT it's a submitted record so is very unreliable.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:05 BST (UK) »
Just my thoughts & some more information :)

Elizabeth was Mary Ann (Corley) Hammond's daughter, probably illegitimate & step-daughter to Henry as she was born about 8 years before they married & Henry would have only been about 17 years old himself, not impossible though...

Then we have Harry/Henry Jnr born 1856 which also makes you wonder if there were any infant deaths from the date of their marriage in 1851 up until he was born?

Also Harry is Henry Eli one & the same person, probably dubbed Harry as his dad was already Henry, it is very common to use Harry for Henry.

As to the mother's name of Rebecca on Elizabeth's death registration, I'd say that possibly her sister Rebecca was the informant on her death certificate & filled it out incorrectly at the time.

Henry HAMMOND & Mary Ann CORLEY:

Henry Hammond, son of Henry Hammond and Elizabeth Dayley, born Jul 6, 1827 in Carbrooke, Norfolk, England and died Aug 6, 1911 in Bombala, NSW age 84.

Henry married Mary Ann Corley, daughter of James Corley and Sarah Edwards, July 18, 1851 in Caston, Norfolk, England.
Mary was born Oct 17, 1824 in Caston, Norfolk, England and died Nov 7, 1899 in Bombala, NSW age 75.

Henry immigrated to Australia with his Family on the ‘Lady MacDonald’ arriving October 12, 1856.

The passenger list shows the following:

Henry – 27yrs – Norfolk - wheelwright – C of E - read & write       
Mary Ann – 31yrs – Norfolk – wife – C of E – read & write
Elizabeth – 12yrs – Norfolk – daughter – C of E – read & write
Harry- infant – Norfolk – son – C of E

Children:

Elizabeth Hammond born Jul 3, 1844 in Caston, Norfolk, England, died Jul 30, 1928 in Bombala, NSW age 84.

Henry Eli Hammond born Jan 16, 1856 in Thetford, Norfolk, England, died Nov 18, 1921 in Gundagai, NSW age 65, buried in North Gundagai, NSW.
Another name for Henry was Harry.

Rebecca Ann Hammond born Nov 23, 1858 in Parramatta, NSW, died November 1, 1940 in North Sydney, NSW age 81.

Isaac Charles Hammond born May 2, 1860 in Parramatta, NSW, died June 18, 1934 in Parramatta, NSW at age 74.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:09 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth had an illegitimate daughter Ada  2 Mar 1862 (shame we don't know the father).

Do you have any information on Ada? Marriage or Death?

If you want information on the following generations of the Hammond family just PM me an email address & I can send it to you  :)

Offline suemartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 10 00:46 BST (UK) »
Awesome Merlin and Judith thankyou,

I guess that kind of clears up the Harry scenario. My husband's line actually comes from Ada Hammond (Corley).
I have just wondered why on the Monaro Pioneer site that Elizabeth was excluded. Well she's there but no information and yet the rest of the family is there with their generations. There is an actual plaque in Cathcart  for the Hammonds with the rest of the children Elizabeth excluded. I know the Hammond's are also a Pioneer family on the nla databases too. This would explain it Im guessing.

For me Id like to know Elizabeth's biological father... guessing that will be a mystery.  Ada was born to Elizabeth as illegitimate in Paramatta. Unfortunately we will never know the Father in this case either. Ada is buried at Delegate Cemetery, she lived most of her life in Bendoc with her husband Daniel T Gilmore. Her first son George Henry also born out of wedlock is my husbands grandfather. Ada's name changed from Hammond at birth to Jeffries when Elizabeth married and then when George was born his surname was Andrews as Elizabeth was married to John Andrews.  She was 14 and a year later she married Gilmore. It is hoped that George was not Andrews son but Gilmore's. Its a family mystery...
Kind of a family qwerk... first Mary then Elizabeth then Ada.... leaves it all so mysterious for the rest of us.