Author Topic: Quentin Walker, Grimsby area  (Read 10062 times)

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin Walker, Grimsby area
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Actually, from Dumfries-shire - Penpont, Thornhill, Sanquhar, Keir, Carinmill, etc., etc. back into at least the 1600's.
Lancashire, Yorkshire, India: Jepson, Rothwell, Wilcock,
Dumfries, Ontario, BC: Walker, Laidlaw, Lorimer
Devonshire: Bullen
Durham: Lomas, Hodge
Northumberland: Henderson
Berwickshire: Buglass, Renton

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 16:45 BST (UK) »
hello again! Yes here are the files to access...but you'll have to see if they'll look them up for you... There is usually a fee with most archives, but I don't know how these work, never used their services...(I live middle more western Canada  on the Prairies...)

United Church of Canada/Victoria University Archives
Smithville United Church (Ont.) fonds  http://www.rootschat.com/links/08o1/    
St. Luke's Anglican Church (Smithville Ont.) fonds   http://www.rootschat.com/links/08o0/
use link to find email address to request lookups for  CMD information

The parents Thomas & Grace (Laidlaw), daughter Grace, Robert L. , Thomas ( & Margaret Ann Secor) and more are in Smithville Union, Lincoln county, Grimsby   plots NA-L-3339/40
John Henry & WALKER & Adah M. (Durham) are in St Andrews Anglican cemetery,   Lincoln county, Grimsby- plotsNA-L-3330 with a few dozen other Walkers.
There are some in Trinity Presbyterian but not sure from which families they might be.

P.S. it was the Ellen middle name that clued me in to the Nellie ...and then of course saw 1881/1891

Jessie (Bell) Walker is in Woodburn Christ Church Anglican, Hamilton, Wentworth but don't see William,
although if you use the third name rather than second
a Wm. Johnstone Walker    is in Grace Anglican   Wentworth/Flamborough East..altho just looked and death says burial in Hamilton
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
I tried to find a death for Henrietta Jamieson Walker.  So far all I can be sure of she was alive in 1929.
She married William Madison Adkin 18 Jul 1886 with her brother Hugh of Niagara Falls a witness.
In 1901 the couple are living Preston Waterloo with Edward Thomas b. 31 Aug 1887 Smithville and Jennie Marjorie b. Sept 15, 1899 Lincoln County.
Willam M. dies Aug 28 1905 Preston Waterloo.  Employment engineer
1911 Henrietta is a housekeeper in Hamilton West, widow, and has daughter Majorie (11) with her.
Marjorie Jean Adkin marries William Harold Hibbard 10 Aug 1921 at Toronto although they are both residents of Smithville.  A witness is Mary Walker, RN of Cincinatti Ohio.
Edward Thomas Adkin marries Velma Teeter 19 June 1916 Grimsby, Ontario
He crosses the border at Niagara New York with the intention of taking up permanent residence July 16, 1929.  He gives his mother, Henrietta Adkin, of Smithville Ontario as his Canadian contact.
Crossings into Canada in 1948 show he is livng at 359 Evan St. North Tonawanda New York.  He is a retired restauranteer.  On the 1930 US census he and Velma have no children and his occupation is cook.

Debbie

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:23 BST (UK) »
JJ - Thanks for the links.  The archives in BC are great because anyone can see online what they have.  If you pay a visit, it's free and photocopies are 40 cents each.  What a deal, eh?  I wish the rest of Canada was as easy.  Thanks for the cemetery information.  I had death registrations for Thomas and Grace, but not burial.  And I've now amended my records to make Nellie into Jessie.  I wonder who the 13th child was?  There are 2 child-sized gaps in Thomas and Grace's children.  Oh, well!

Cosmac - Thanks for your efforts.  A wealth of information! 

Just for interest's sake, here's a picture of Quentin with his family.  The baby is my grandmother.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Up until 1911 mother Grace, daughter Grace L. and Isabella Walker all live together.
Isobel Walker, 51, nurse, b. Smithville, living Smithville d/o thomas Walker and Grace Laidlaw marries
Nov 1, 1919 at Toronto, Ontario to
Wilbert Adrian Lounsbury, 51, widower, b. Smithville, living Caistor Centre, farmer.  Witness was Grace Walker of Smithville.
Mrs. W. Lounsbury of Smithville, sister, was the informant to Grace L.'s death in 1928.

Debbie

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Super, Debbie.  That's a bit more information I didn't have.  I'm getting quite a file on the Walkers now.  If only I could find Quentin's birthdate and place I'd be over the moon!

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

This site says the family is from Walkerton which is near Lake Huron, a good distance in those days from Grimsby.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onbcgs/bcgs2005quer.htm

If that's not your post you have a relative looking for the same family.

Good hunting.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline puzzlnut

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
It is a relative - it's my brother!  You can see we started looking for Quentin a long time ago - the post was dated June 2005.  It was made difficult by my Grandmother who told us we came from a town named after the family.  Walkerton?  Walkerville?  Turns out it was like so many stories relatives tell you - not true!  I finally made headway when I decided perhaps Grandma wasn't right and started looking elsewhere.  Good catch, though!

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 May 10 01:47 BST (UK) »
Beamsville, Ontario became incorporated into the town of Lincoln and is close to Smithsville.  Perhaps whoever was the informant at Quentin's death only got parts of the name of the town of his birth correct and incorrectly substituted Belleville for Beamsville.

Debbie