Author Topic: suicides and burials  (Read 2055 times)

Offline aston34

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
suicides and burials
« on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

in 1910-1914   if someone committed suicide would it be the law that they were placed in an unmarked grave?  (as in not allowed to have a religious ceremony .... )

my gg grandfather took his own life in 1910 (of unsound mind his death cert reads.. )

also my ggm died in the same circumstances 4 yrs later,     she was an inmate of the union workhouse.   is it more than likely the workhouse paid for her funeral and where would she most likely be buried ?  i know warwick hospital is now in the location of where the workhouse used to be,  where would the burial place of been ?

If anyone is familiar with the town of Leamington and could help me with these queries id really appreciate it

thank you

Aston  :)
Green, Blackwell, Olney, Buswell,

Offline carol02

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: suicides and burials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:02 BST (UK) »
Oakley Wood Crematorium have the buriel records for Warwick and Leamington.
                  Telephone number 01926  651418
                  E-mail oakley.wood@warwickdc.gov.uk.
They are very helpful and will give you the plot number.

Carol

Offline aston34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:29 BST (UK) »
thanks so much Carol ive just emailed them,   i so hope they can help and lead me in the right direction.

thanks ! :)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a guide on the London and Middlesex board on burials which gives information on suicide burials

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,403485.0.html

scroll down to section 8(2)

whether there was a full Christian burial service depended on what type of suicide it was.

Union infirmaries by this time like hospitals had consultants. When the National Health service came into existence in 1948 many workhouse infirmaries became National Health hospitals. A death in a workhouse infirmary therefore doesn't mean the person was a pauper and their funeral and burial were paid for by the poor law guardians. If that was the case they would be buried in a paupers grave which should not be confused with a common grave. Many of our ancestors in cemeteries are buried in common graves. This was when the family paid for the undertakers and the funeral service, but couldn't afford (considering how many in their families died in earlier times) the expense of buying a funeral plot exclusively for their own family.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aston34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
thank you Valda that was a really interesting read.   

my gg grandfather was recorded as "of unsound mind" when he took his own life so im presuming from that-  he would of got abit of sympathy and a proper burial then (well in a common grave at least but in consecrated ground).

how sad to think someone was so desperately unhappy to take their own life and it was classed as a mortal sin.    how society has changed over the years, and for the better too.....

:)  Aston     

Offline aston34

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Wow Carol they replied and given me cemetery names and the plot numbers and i didnt have to pay a fee,  its made my night it really has.
thanks so much for sending me the email link.

Arthur was buried in Leamington cemetery and the grave is number 134 in the consecrated section 104.  Mary Ann Blackwell  was buried in Warwick cemetery and her grave is number 1 in the consecrated section 245.

Thank you !!

Aston  :)