Author Topic: Owen KELLY  (Read 5573 times)

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Owen KELLY
« on: Friday 19 January 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I have reason to believe this man my ggrandfather came from Co Cavan, possibly Annagh or Redhill?, he joined the 10th foot [which later became the Lincolnshire Regt]about 1858? he married an Ann Mcguire not sure where, or even where in Ireland she came from, unfortunately the census details I have only state Ireland! I think he came back to Co Cavan for a short time after leaving the Army,and my grandmother may have been born here Mary Kelly, in 1882/83  but settled in Lincoln England before 1895. He died in 1897, after working as a general labourer. I appreciate al help/suggestions  thanks,
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Owen Kelly approx 1841
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for information on this ancestor from Annagh,  CoCavan, Roman Catholic, joined 10th foot  in 1858  discharged 1882. Returned to Ireland for a short while but was back in England by 1885. Settled in Lincoln, Lincolnshire until his death, married Ann Mcguire  - not sure when or where though.  Would love to know a bit about his parents. Any help gratefully received. I am afraid he is well and truly a stumbling block/solid brick wall.
Brown, Twizell, Storey & fenwick  from Northumberland, Parkinson, from Lincolnshire, Kelly, Kinsella  & Mcguire from Ireland. Mellor originally from Derbyshire, Allens from Norfolk and Jackson originally from Sutton Coldfield.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Kelly approx 1841
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
When and where did he marry? the certificate might list importants details like father's name, etc.

Added- have merged today's post with the previous one.

See also:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,182989.msg890008.html#msg890008
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,180994.msg876781.html#msg876781
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,180552.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Owen KELLY
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hello. yes it is a repeat - I keep returning to them every so often in the hope one of these days I might just be onto a winner - and have a bit more info. I wish I knew when he did marry.  I know the first child was born in 1874 so I started to work backwards from that date. I have not found anything that fits. have recently had some Irish  research done and they found no evidence of a suitable marriage & I found nothing in England or in the Armed Forces abroad. Ithought maybe they didn't get married but they were staunch Roman Catholics so I think they probably did - somewhere.  :( :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:02 BST (UK) »
There's no reason to keep starting new posts looking for the same information- it only causes confusion and duplication of effort for those trying to help you.

Have you searched Irish civil index (online, free) as well as English marriage index for range of dates well before and after 1874? If you find a marriage certificate it will hopefully list father's name and occupation.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry I thought a new post may generate a bit of interest. Yes I have looked everywhere  to no avail. I am now completely at a loss.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
It's going to be very difficult to find a marriage with relatively common surnames without knowing a location, especially as Owen could have moved around to various army postings. Do you know where his unit was posted during the 1870s ?

...my grandmother may have been born here [Cavan] Mary Kelly, in 1882/83  but settled in ....

Are you certain that Mary was born in Cavan ?

I had a quick look at familysearch extracted marriage & birth details for Ireland but didn't see any promising Kelly/Dowling records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Patricia jackson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi  & thanks for your reply, from 1873 until his discharge from the Army Owen was in England , - Chatham, Aldershot, Colchster, Dover for a short while and Lincoln from 1876, it is a very common name which definately doesn't help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 May 10 19:08 BST (UK) »
sorry... I mixed up my 1870s and 1880s...

For some reason I thought Mary was born in the 1870s, and that's why I asked where Owen was posted at the time. I see now that you said earlier that left the army in 1882, so presumably Mary was born soon after that ?

Do you have some clues pointing to the fact he returned to Cavan, and Mary's birth there ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests