Author Topic: "Brown?... I thought it was green!"  (Read 6551 times)

Offline rancegal

• RootsChat Member
  • Georgiana Smith, my great-grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: "Brown?... I thought it was green!"
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 09:22 BST (UK) »

Don't they have an arrow if they're open and a cross if they're closed? If not, they ought to!
Bridge: GT Catworth, Hunts, and surrounding area
French: Blisworth,  and W. Northants

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Don't they have an arrow if they're open and a cross if they're closed? If not, they ought to!

Well they certainly do on the Continent.  Can't remember the M6 toll, not used it that much.

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
As far as i know no one in my family is colour blind. However i thought this may give you all a laugh.  At my mother`s funeral we discovered that my husband had worn a navy blue jacket and black trousers! He thought that they were both black!!

It gave us a good laugh on a sad day.

Regards
Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 12:52 BST (UK) »

Yes, they do.  But that's not so easy to make out from a distance, especially in bright sunshine, and even more difficult for someone who cannot distinguish the colours.  Believe me, I'm not colour-blind myself, but have plenty of experience as a passenger with someone who is.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline perth tiger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
I've never been able to understand why, when red/green colourblindness is so common, those are the colours used for stop and go signals.  Madness.  ::)

been colour blind myself i think there are a few things that people are getting wrong.
red/green colour blindness doesnt mean you cant tell the difference between all shades of red or green. traffic lights are very easy to tell the diff for me.
not knowing what the colours are is the biggest problem. i can distinguish between most colours but have no idea what the colours are.  esp red/green/brown, blue /purple etc. its like a colour dyslexia.
every colour blind person i know is male and recently at work it turned out that all 4 of us on the job at that time where colourblind.

perth  :) :)
davey hodgson holliday nelson oxberry ruddock sunman Sidebottom
yorkshire
Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk included on your posts.

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 May 10 06:04 BST (UK) »
Took the test, thank goodness I'm not colourblind, obviously must just improve my choice of clothes colours  :o
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon