Author Topic: "Brown?... I thought it was green!"  (Read 6553 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Brown?... I thought it was green!"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
She could have a go at this test - www.archimedes-lab.org/colorblindnesstest.html#visione

My son has a problem with blue and yellow, not so much with the strong colours but with all the shades.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandfather had red-green colour blindness and this was nearly the cause of his death.  During the depression in the 1930s he found temporary work as a railway labourer and the gang leader would signal the men about approaching trains by waving either a red or a green flag.  Granddad didn't mention he couldn't tell the difference between the two as he couldn't afford not to take the work.  He was caught out one day when he stepped the wrong way, right into the path of an oncoming train.  With no time to jump out of the way, he lay down between the tracks and the train went right over him.  Not surprisingly, he fainted, and was carried home on a ladder.  Apparently he was perfectly fine the next day, although my mother swears his hair turned white overnight!
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
It's red/green in our family which of course also includes browns and other variations.

Some years ago my sister, who has reddish brown hair, was wearing brown trousers and a green sweater and sitting on a brown sofa when my colourblind nephew came into the room looked almost straight at her and asked 'has anybody seen Mum?  It wasn't till she turned around to face him that he realised she was there!

Christine

Offline Icicle

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Ireland Football Champions 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
I read some where that men, in general, do not have the same ability to see depth (or tone) of colour as women.

So, as has happened to me, you hold up two dresses and say to OH  "which one shall I wear, the aquamarine or the turquoise?" He just sees BLUE  ;D and appears very confused.

It might also explain the inability to match shirt/suits/ties etc which most of the males in my family seem to have turned into an artform  ;D

Paint charts are a nightmare too.
Aynsley - Northumberland
Armstrong - Durham
Bell, Beaumont, Sunderland - Yorkshire
Scuffham - Linconshire and Yorkshire
Smith - Northumberland

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shropshire lass , I remember those charts from school( almost never used), it`s worth a try
I have just done  it  and I am not"colour blind". I`ll try to get hubby to do it--- will resist ,kicking and screaming every inch of the way.I`ll email son for him to do it. Thanks again. Viktoria.

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
I've enjoyed reading all of your posts today.  :)
Thanks DudleyWinchurch for all the information. It has helped knowing the course it takes through the generations.
Viktoria, my husband is well used to being given the once over and sent back to change...when we go clothes shopping now, it is easier to buy the complete outfit.
Ermintrude, what a tale :o.... there are probably lots of jobs these days that would be no-go for the colour blind.

;D ;D I've been there Icicle!

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
I've never been able to understand why, when red/green colourblindness is so common, those are the colours used for stop and go signals.  Madness.  ::)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
But presumably colour blind people see lights and must know which light is lit, it doesn't really matter what colour they see for traffic lights does it, so long as they can see which one (or two) is lit

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 03:54 BST (UK) »
It's not always that straightforward.  I've been with a colourblind driver on toll motorways, and he could never see which lanes were open when approaching the toll gates.  Why not make it easier for people?
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.