Author Topic: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?  (Read 22943 times)

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 May 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Andy:  Thank you for the message and I will continue to search.  It is always an interesting journey as I keep learning new things along the way.  Thanks again.  Susan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
Following on from Andy's suggestions, as you have the family in the 1871 census, you can look at the neighbours on both sides and follow the enumerators route to get a picture of where the house was located. Sometimes you can get lucky and discover a landmark (road junction, large building) which is still there today.

Inner city areas have changed so much that all you may get is a rough idea where the house used to be. Shame really.

House numbering (when it existed) has also changed through the years so further investigation is usually required.

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 01:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, Ruskie, I will follow up with that.   I will be happy just to know the area and it is looking as if that is the way this is going.  The search has produced good results and we know so much more than we did in the beginning.  I think I am getting hooked on this "detective" stuff.  Thanks again.  Susan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 02:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's great fun trying to hunt down the ancestor's old haunts.  :)

I'm not sure if any of the Liverpool locals know the answer to this, but there used to be a site online which had an old map of Liverpool. On it were marked various landmarks. You could click on the landmark to get a photograph of the area. Does that make any sense? Some photographs were from the 1900's, some newer. I vaguely remember that the site may have been removed  :-\:P Can anyone remember the site or does anyone have a link to it? I remember looking at an old photo of the big houses around Sefton Park or Ullet Road or some such place. I think they were constantly adding more photos and updating.

This is a very good detailed map which is enlargable and movable (click any area to make that the centre of next map  :P), but it's not too user friendly and you need to know what you're looking for - probably best used in conjunction with a modern map.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55207&sheetid=10191

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:55 BST (UK) »
Fascinating information, Ruskie.  Thanks for the link, it has been very interesting reading.  It amazes me how far back the details go.  Susan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wonder if your house is on that map. It's a matter of knowing where to look though. Maybe one of the Liverpool locals will be able to point you in the right direction.  ;)

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Ruskie:  I couldn't seem to get that map to zoom or move - is there a way to navigate it?  Thanks. Susan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 04:29 BST (UK) »
Susan, just under the map in the blue bar is the word zoom on the left, then max/high/low/min. You select from these to zoom in.

To move around the zoomed in map you see a hand pointer - use the pointer to click on any area within that map and the map will re-centre to the point you clicked on. So in theory if you click on the far right, the map will move right. I think there are limits to the edge of the map though because sometimes it won't let you move. As I said, not a very friendly map. It's a shame really because the detail is excellent.

I'm sure someone must have a better one.  ;D

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 05:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information, Ruskie.  Nothing seemed to come up for me so I will try again.  It is a very interesting map.  Susan