Author Topic: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?  (Read 22942 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

Try this site http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html  Use the Coordinates Boxes and enter the following. 339200  387400 and select Go. This should open an 1850 map centred on Mossley Hill Station, Scroll down and you will see other maps, use the arrow to the right to take you to the 1894 1:10560 map, select  that map and you will see the growth in the area.

Andy

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

I just realised that the 1881 Kelly's Directory of Liverpool is on Ancestry and that has James Cunningham living at Linton Lodge, His nextdoor neighbour in the Directory is the previous entry in the census.

The house was called Linton Lodge and was on the north end of Mossley Hill Road, now called North M...H...Rd.  I think it is now converted to flats.
I am sending more by email.

Ainlie posted this on an earlier post so may have already found him.

Andy

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 07:50 BST (UK) »
Linton Lodge appears in a 1908 map as 'Lynton', a large detached house with more than an acre of grounds, near what is now the the junction of North Mossley Hill Road and Queen's Drive, which did not exist then.  It is now part of Liverpool College.

A

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
To everyone on this site who has helped me with this search:  A huge and sincere "Thank You" to you all.  I think the mystery has been solved: "Lynton" has been deemed to be the location I have been searching for and I am thrilled to have this information.  To all of you who took the time to read my message, send me a snippet of information and to research this on my behalf - I really can't thank you enough or express my gratitude.  I never expected such wonderful results in such a short time - it has been truly exciting to put some of the pieces of the puzzle together at last.  Thank you all so very much.  Susan and Brian Cunningham in Canada

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Ainslie, there are several large buidlings near the junction you mention. Is there any way to pinpoint exactly which one is or was Lynton?

Susan there may be a way to find out still more about the house. Someone may have more knowledge than me or be able to point you in the right direction, but I believe there is a way to access deeds of houses. Maybe a google search will give more information. Researching the history of your home is quite a poplular pastime.  :)

Perhaps even begin a new thread (with a link to this one) - I'm sure there are some experts about such things here on rootschat.

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 04:52 BST (UK) »
Ruskie:  I have been forwarded a 1908 map (from Ainslee) and Lynton is marked as the middle property of three properties along Mossley Hill Road.  I went onto Google Earth and can see that development has changed these properties dramatically as well as Queens Road being added.  Of course, the street viewer is impossible as there are so many large trees blocking the view but from overhead you can see the rooflines that seem like they are original.  I guess I will just have to get an airline ticket and passport and get over there and check it out for myself, right??  Your suggestion about further investigation of the house through deeds, etc. is a very good idea as it would be nice to know if the Cunninghams had this house built or purchased it from a former owner and I will continue with my detective work.  Does this obsession ever end?  Thanks for your message.  Susan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 05:05 BST (UK) »
It's so good the the house still exists today, but a shame it is no longer a single dwelling. Can you imagine how lovely it must have been when your husband's ancestors livied there? If you ever find out more about Lynton, please let us know.

Yes, a trip would be wonderful. Liverpool is a great city though it has undergone many changes recently (not sure all for the best but that's not a subject for discussion here  ;)). You can see via google maps there are many great green spaces and some imposing houses still remaining, but most would be split up into flats these days and have lost their grandeur, integrity and much character (inside at least) which is sad.

Start saving.

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 06:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried You Tube? Or google video?  People put the most inane video's on there all the time - you never know.

Ann

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 08:01 BST (UK) »
Ruskie:  I have been forwarded a 1908 map (from Ainslee) and Lynton is marked as the middle property of three properties along Mossley Hill Road.  I went onto Google Earth and can see that development has changed these properties dramatically as well as Queens Road being added.  Of course, the street viewer is impossible as there are so many large trees blocking the view but from overhead you can see the rooflines that seem like they are original.  I guess I will just have to get an airline ticket and passport and get over there and check it out for myself, right??  Your suggestion about further investigation of the house through deeds, etc. is a very good idea as it would be nice to know if the Cunninghams had this house built or purchased it from a former owner and I will continue with my detective work.  Does this obsession ever end?  Thanks for your message.  Susan

Hiya Susan...in the 1830`s a land survey was completed for England and Wales....it is called the TITHE SURVEY.google the Tithe survey in Liverpool and try and find LYNTON LODGE , Mossley Hill....this will tell you whether it was owned by someone else in 1837 period.....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford