Author Topic: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?  (Read 22939 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: #53 Mossley Hill Road - what happened to the house?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hiya Susan......if it`s your Husbands ancestral home you should know us scousers go out of our way to help...lol...so....I`ve got the pictures on my pc but can`t post them...just a bit thick that`s all....my wife will be in soon and she`ll help me....funny thing is I have a touring caravan I want to sell , so I took pictures of that as well...they`ve gone on the selling site no problem....hopefully the pics will be on in about 2 hours....where did you read that 53 was not there ?....53 is in the middle of a block of about 24 semis....Mossley Hill Church is at the top of Mossley Hill Road and 53 is at the bottom about 30 yards past Hindemarsh College on the Opposite side of the road............Andy had it right by saying that where you were talking about was NORTH MOSSLEY HILL ROAD.....MAYBE ,JUST MAYBE -THIS HOUSE IS TOO MODERN ?...but it looks 1930`s to me...fingers crossed
allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

In my attempt to find my husband's ancestral family home which was listed on a census as #53 Mossley Hill Road, I came upon #51, then where #53 should have been was Rose Lane and then the University of Liverpool and further down the road was the Mossley Hill Parish Church.

Which census are you referring to? and where did you come across #51 etc?  As Allan says #53 is in the middle of a block of semis and they certainly wouldn't be on any of the available censuses.

Andy

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 May 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan:  I think the #53 Mossley Hill Road that you have located is not the right vintage.   The #53 that I am searching for is from a much earlier era, 1871 ish.  Thank you for the trouble you went to for me and my quest.  The search continues....regards, Susan

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 May 10 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy:  I found the address from the Ancestry.co.uk site from a census taken in 1871.  I then went on to Google Earth to locate the road and was able to find #51 Mossley Hill Road which was right next to Rose Lane where #53 should have been.   I am still wondering if the house could have been damaged in l940 similar to the Parish Church which is in fairly close proximity.  Thanks for your interest.  Susan

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 May 10 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

What was the name of the person in the 1871 census? Is it possible that #53 is in the first column of the census under Schedule and the street name is simply Mossley Hill ie no Road, street etc? Mossley Hill Road only seems to have a few cottages and a couple of farms but there is a Scedule #53 for Mossley Hill (no house number) and I'm wondering if that's what you are looking at.

Mossley Hill runs from about the middle of North Mossley Hill Rd in an easterley direction crossing the railway line

Andy

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 May 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy:  The names on the census are James and Sarah Cunningham living at 53 Mossley Hill, Wavertree, Lancshire.  You are right - there is no "Road" written into the address.  This is so confusing but you may have added a clue to this mystery.  Susan

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:12 BST (UK) »
James Cunningham was a cotton broker, living at Mossley Hill Road, as shown in the 1881 census.
Like Garstonite, I am very local to the area and it should be easy to track down the house as there were not many in the road then, though much built up in the 1930s.
The family seem to have moved on by 1908 as he is not listed on a section of local directory reproduced on a re-published map.
If you send me a PM with your email I will get you a piece of map showing the house, once we have traced it.
I'll be back!
A

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 May 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
The house was called Linton Lodge and was on the north end of Mossley Hill Road, now called North M...H...Rd.  I think it is now converted to flats.
I am sending more by email.
A

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 May 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

The #53 on the 1871 census is the schedule number and not the house number.  The term Mossley Hill relates to the locality rather than the name of the road. There are about 30 households on the census and none appear to have any actual identifying feature such as house name, street name etc but I suspect most would have been in reasonable proximity to Mossley Hill Railway Station.

Your best option would be to check Liverpool Directories from that era to see if you can find a house name or actual address for James Cunningham and then check a map from that era to see where was. Then use Google Earth to see if anything remains. It might be a bit of a longshot but worth a try.

Andy