Author Topic: Wayford/ Winsham/ Chillington parish registers  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Witsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wayford/ Winsham/ Chillington parish registers
« on: Sunday 09 May 10 02:07 BST (UK) »
My families of interest are SANDIFORD and LARCOMBE

Thomas SANDIFORD b. East Chinnock c 1799
Amey/Emma LARCOMBE/LARKHAM b. Winsham? c 1801

I have found in the Parish Records Collection 1538-2005 - Marriages (findmypast)..... the marriage of my Thomas SANDIFORD to Amey LARCOMBE took place at Wayford on 5 Sept 1825. 

Shortly after they were in Chillington where three children were born - Sarah c 1830; John Thomas c 1831; Samuel c 1833. (there was another Samuel died there in 1833 age 6 yrs likely their son as well)

By 1837 they were living in East Chinnock. Three more children were born: Thomas c 1837; Emma b 1839 and Henry b. 1842.

A copy of Henry's birth certificate 1842 gives his mother as "Amey"  maiden name LARKHAM.
All of the Censuses  1841 to 1861 that the family appear on have Amey recorded as "Emma"
All of the Censuses record Thomas's birth place as East Chinnock
The 1851 census records Amey/Emma's  birth place as East Chinnock
The 1861 census records Amey/Emma's birth place as Winsham.

Both Thomas and Emma SANDIFORD died in East Chinnock, Thomas in 1863 and Emma in 1866.

I have checked the Winsham online Baptisms but cannot find Amey/Emma LARCOMBE/LARKHAM b. c 1801.  Neither can I find any record of Thomas SANDIFORD b. c 1799 in East Chinnock.

I have been unable to find any parish records for Chillington or Wayford to confirm the other births/baptisms.

Any advice gratefully accepted.  And/or confirmation of any of this information mostly gleaned from the Censuses.

Judy

Mitchelmore- Durham & Devon:: Sandiford - Somerset:: Woollams - London, Mddsx:: Inman -  London, Mddsx::

Offline leofred

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wayford/ Winsham/ Chillington parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy

Chillington parish records are a work in progress for Freereg baptisms 1750-1812 so it wont be long before they are on line.

Winsham has a Independent chapel so is it possible Amy/Emma  was baptised there.

Although East Chinnock parish records are on line with Freereg it might be worthwhile joining the Yahoo group for that area http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hbchundred/ which is free to join and use. By posting a request about Thomas Sandiford you might be lucky and find someone else also reseaching the same family and would share information.

Hope this helps.

kind regards

Offline Witsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

I will keep checking back on the Free Reg and look into joining the Yahoo group.

Judy
Mitchelmore- Durham & Devon:: Sandiford - Somerset:: Woollams - London, Mddsx:: Inman -  London, Mddsx::

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 July 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
I currently have the microfilmed parish registers for both Chillington and East Chinnock. When I can get back to the LDS library next week I'll have a look for you.

Offline elfael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Sandiford also appears as Sandford, Sandover and Sandever – they sound similar if you put the emphasis on the first syllable.

The East Chinnock registers are in very poor condition up until the 1800s, and many years are missing in the 1700s as well. I'm sure there are more Sandiford entries that are illegible or missing altogether. I only looked at East Chinnock up until 1851, and in the Chillington registers I only had time to check the specific baptisms you asked about. If you hire the microfilm through the LDS I'm sure you could find more (East Chinnock and Chillington are on the same film).

East Chinnock

Marriages:
[Augustin?] Sandford and Sarah [Prist?] married 11 July 1745 (the handwriting in this entry was hard to read)

John Sandford and Margaret Chalker, both of Hardington (this probably refers to Hardington Mandeville as it is only 1.8 miles from East Chinnock), married by banns 2 March 1778. Marks of both. Witness: Joel Reynolds.

John Sandover and Susanah Bicknell, both of the parish, married by banns 15 April 1781. Marks of both. Witnesses: John Sandover (probably the John who married Margaret Chalker in 1778), Joel Reynolds.

William Sandford of West Coker and Harriet Bartlett of the parish, married by banns 18 February 1800. Both signed. Witnesses: James Warry, Thomas Leach. Banns read 12 January, 19 January, 26 January 1800.

Samuel Sandever and Sarah Baker, both of the parish, banns read 23 August, 30 August, 6 September 1795. (I didn't find the solemnisation of this marriage).

Henry Sandiford and Ann Sandiford, both of the parish, married by banns 24 May 1824. Marks of both. Witnesses: William Gibbons, Joseph Purchace, Thomas Sandiford. Banns read 14 March, 21 March, 28 March 1824.

William Rendall and Sarah Sandiford, both of the parish, banns read 11 August, 18 August, 25 August 1850.

Baptisms:
Thomas Sandiford, son of John and Margaret, baptised 1 March 1779
Sylvester Sandiford, son of John and Susanna, baptised 20 January 1782
[illegible] Sandiford, son of [illegible], baptised 7 February 1796 (this entry is so faint as to be almost not there at all)
Harriet Sandford, daughter of William and Harriet, baptised 19 April 1802
Sarah Sandford, daughter of William and Harriet, baptised 5 August 1810
Maria Sandford, daughter of William and Harriet, baptised 5 August 1810 (there is nothing to note whether these were twins or an older and younger child)
Thomas Sandiford, son of Thomas and Emma, baptised 17 July 1836, abode East Chinnock, father's profession Carpenter.
Emma Sandiford, daughter of Thomas and Emma, baptised 13 December 1840, abode East Chinnock, father's profession Carpenter.
Henry Sandiford, daughter of Thomas and Emma, baptised 15 October 1843, abode East Chinnock, father's profession Carpenter.

Burials:
Ann Sandiford, died 11 September 1777
Margaret Sandiford, buried 14 May 1809
Sarah Sandiford, buried 28 July 1819, age 47
Henry Sandiford, buried 3 January 1828, age 22
Emma Sandiford, buried 23 March 1845, age 5
Ann Sandiford, buried 5 April 1851, age 87
Henry Sandiford, buried 13 April 1851, age 82 (these are consecutive entries and are noted as husband and wife; I may have mixed their ages up)

Chillington

Baptisms:
John Thomas Sandiford, son of Thomas and Amy, baptised 12 November 1826, abode Chillington, father's profession Carpenter.
Samuel Sandiford, son of Thomas and Amy, baptised 30 September 1827, abode Chillington, father's profession Carpenter.
Sarah Sandiford, daughter of Thomas and Amy, baptised 28 February 1830, abode Chillington, father's profession Wheelright.
Samuel Sandiford, son of Thomas and Amy, baptised 5 January 1834, abode Chillington, father's profession Carpenter.

Offline Witsend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this info.

Although my 3rd gt Grandmother is listed in the Census for 1841/51/61 as Emma Sandiford I was unsure as I had bought her youngest son's birth cert and she was recorded as Amy.  I had thought it was an error.  The info from the Chillington parish registers where her older children were baptised confirms she was Amy.

Winsham and Wayford look to be very close on the map. I have just found Wayford records online. Now I can go back  and look for an Amy Larkham/Larcombe.

Your help is much appreciated. 

Thanks

Offline BelmontCarl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Inman family line
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Im actually replying to your post regarding the Inman family. I live in Belmont, the estate that was originally built and owned by the Inman family and have been doing a lot or research into the side of the family you mentioned in your first post, mainly:
Marshall Nisbit Inman
Henry Beale(Reid) Inman
Annie Letitia Inman

Im trying to trace land ownership but seem to have found that these three ancestral lines all died out in the second world war (with one exception, who passed away with no heirs in Brighton, 1963).

Any information regarding this would be of great help. You can mail me on (*)

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Note: New members need to make3 postings before the PM system is fully functional

Offline csingleton73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 March 11 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

My name is Carlos Singleton and I did the transcriptions for Chillington in FREEREG. It's all done back to 1750s that's when records start or stop depending on the point of view. If I can help you in any way, I do remember Sandifords and Larcombes.

If any of you have access to Bishop's Transcripts pre-1750 I would really appreciate any info on Singleton or Perry....

Best regards!

Carlos