Author Topic: CROMWELL Family of Bath  (Read 8199 times)

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CROMWELL Family of Bath
« on: Sunday 09 May 10 04:21 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for this family for several years now and have a very little more now.
Catherine Cromwell was baptised in  Marksbury, Somerset on 24th February 1799. She was a daughter of John and Hannah Cromwell.
There are two contenders for her parents - John Cromwell who married Hannah Fennell in 1788 at St. Michaels, Bath, and John Cromwell born in 1773 in Lyncomb and Widcomb, Bath and who married a Hannah there in 1799.
I was told a bit of information by someone I have not been able to contact again that the father of John was William Cromwell who married twice, the first about 1747 and the second time about 1754.
I would guess that he would be from the same area.
Is there a Cromwell family of Bath who I could contact as there must be many other descendents with this information.
The very kind man who gave me the information I have so far has told me that Catherine is a direct descendent of Thomas Cromwell which must mean also from Gregory Cromwell, the only son of Thomas.
Catherine married Mortimer Maurice in 1821 in Bristol.
I am in New Zealand and therefore to connect with a Cromwell family of the area would solve a lot for me.
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline famhis65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CROMWELL Family of Bath
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 10 16:03 BST (UK) »
A friend told me to log into this site re the Cromwell family as there was a message re this family. I am decended from Alfred Richard Cromwell 1846. I have found a baptism parents Richard Cromwell and Mary. From 1851 the family lived in Bath but prior to that I have no idea although Glos is a strong possibility
. Several of us have tried invain to find out about Richard and Mary but can find no trace.  Don't know if I can be of any more help.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi famhis65 - nice to hear from you - aren't they an elusive family. A kind lady sent me a site of bathbdm on which I found quite a few Cromwell deaths.
I also found a lot of Cromwells (43 of them) from Westwood, Glouc. which is not that far from Bath, have you checked those ones. The name of Richard featured several times but in earlier dates. I found them on the Mormon site by getting the batch number and entering the name of Cromwell and all those Cromwell relatives came up. The batch number is CO54811 and the years are 1666 to 1876.
Good luck
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 02:05 BST (UK) »
A thought has just occurred to me that John Cromwell or his wife Hannah probably died in the area and there was possibly a will, being in New Zealand I cannot access it  but wonder if there is a wills-online facility somewhere. It may mention a daughter Catherine.
I do not know yet which John and Hannah Cromwell my Catherine comes from - the marriage in 1788 or the one in 1799 - even to know that would be a huge help.
I do lean towards the 1788 one as his father William was married in 1747 and then 1754.
Maybe a will could also help famhis65 -  by the way have you found out anything else since and was the Westwood lot of any help although I daresay you have already searched that lot.
Robin
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach

Offline famhis65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
There are no online wills that I know of although you can access some lists of wills in major librarys, you then have to send away for a copy.
 I have had a researcher working in the somerset record office but no luck so far. Looking at the occupations and obvious modest means of this family I don't think any would have made a will. As I can find no births marriages or deaths I am now going to research the cromwell family in Scotland as an early photo shows two relatives in Scots military uniform.
Good luck with your research.

Offline 780

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 October 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also descended from Alfred Richard Cromwell 1846. Not sure if I have already been in contact with you. I have seen his baptism record but think that his father Richard may be ficticious!! Have you ever come across Alfred Richard Stock? He is our A F Cromwell. Cromwell was his real name but his mother (Mary Cromwell 1809) married a William Stock in 1850 and Alfred took that name for the rest of his childhood. You will never find him as Cromwell on the 1851 or 61 census, nor will you find him as Stock after 1861. The address on the 1861 census (Stock) and his marriage cert 1863 (Cromwell) and his mother (Mary Stock/Cromwell's) death cert 1867 are all the same.

This address is also on the marriage cert in 1850 of Mary Cromwell and William Stock. On that cert her fathers name is Joseph Cromwell a mason. On census returns Mary usually gives her place of birth as Rode, Somerset and although I can't find her baptism there, her father Joseph Cromwell is there and the family goes back several generations. What do you make of that?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 October 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused as Alfred under Stock is born c 1840, Bath, Somerset in the 1851 Census.1861 Census he is Alfred R still born c 1841??
William Stock seems to be in Glous in 1841 Married to a Margaret.
So then Mary and Margaret are his Children with Margaret I presume?
By 1871 I can see Albert is now born c 1844 and back to Cromwell married to Charlotte.

Several people have Mary Cromwell born c 1809, Rode, in their Trees;
(please excuse me if you already have this!)
Parents,
JOSEPH Cromwell 1768-1813
Esther TANNER 1772
Siblings;
Joseph 1794-1826
Esther 1802
Camilla 1805
MARY 1809-1867, Married to William STOCK
WILLIAM TANNER 1812

FreeREG has a Marriage of;
Joseph CROMWELL
Hester TANNER, 11 August 1793, St Lawrence, Rode, Somerset + Witnesses
Burial of;
Hester CROMWELL, Age 48, 21 May 1820, St Lawrence, Rode, Somerset
Joseph CROMWELL, Age 43, 18 March 1813, St Lawrence, Rode, Somerset
JOSEPH Jnr is there also 1826 and Daughter, unnamed in 1811, Father Joseph

I cant find Christening of any of the Children with my resources.
There is a FRANCES Cromwell Christened 14 January 1806, Bathwick, Somerset, to a JOSEPH and ESTHER
Another Record has the same date and Parents but as CRAMWELL, Wesleyan, Bath, Somerset
(Source Familysearch Pilot)

Trish :)

I cant find a Birth Reg for Alfred 1839-1847 under Cromwell  even using soundex except Bradford Yks 1843??? I even tried Stock.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline 780

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 October 10 18:36 BST (UK) »
I think Alfred was probably born c1842-4. His ages vary quite alot on census returns, from 1851-1901 his ages are 11, 20, 27, 34, 49 and 57 and his death cert in 1907 says 63. I have never been able to find a birth under either name. I don't think it was registered as it wasn't illegal not to register at the time. If he was illegitimate it would be understandable.

It sounds a bit far fetched i know. I never expected to find the marriage between Mary Cromwell and William Stock, it clinched it for me. He had 2 daughters and she had a son and in the 1861 census he listed his daughters before Alfred even though he was older?  The address that always comes up is Upper Trafalgar Place but No.4 only on 1861 census and Mary's death cert.

I can't explain Richard away. He is mentioned on the baptism and on Alfreds marriage cert but never on any census and no death record.

I am descended from Alfreds daughter Kate Cromwell, she is my GG Grandmother.

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 October 10 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi to 780 famhis and Trish,
It is good for me to even be able to contact anyone with a Cromwell line.
I have been searching for my Catherine Cromwell for years and she fits into the era of Mary Cromwell born in 1809 as Catheirne was born in 1799 in Marksbury, Somerset, which I know is very near to Bath. I do know her parents were John and Hannah Cromwell and his father was William Cromwell.
There was a Joseph Cromwell who married Mary Harford in 1786 at the Abbey of St Peter and St Paul in Bath, and they are related to the family that my Catherine married into, so somehow they are of importance to the history I am searching for.
It is the earlier history of Catherine I am seeking as I have been told that her line goes back to Thomas Cromwell.
I iwll delve a little further into these names and see if any bells are ringing for me - I wish they would as Catherine has been a huge mystery for years.
Robin aka King William
Shropshire - le Strange
Worcestershire - Beach