Author Topic: CROMWELL Family of Bath  (Read 8197 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: CROMWELL Family of Bath
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 October 10 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin,
Catherines Christening is on FreeREG to JOHN/HANNAH at Marksbury
Siblings;
ISAAC 1792 at Marksbury (*Correction in Bath, Somerset)
Other possible Children to them at Widcombe;
JEMIMA 1791
CAROLINE 1796
JOHN 1800
(you can check exact details for yourself)

As you say;
John CROMWELL Married Hannah FENNELL, 21 August 1788, St Michael, Bath, Somerset
Winesses Henry SPERING Ann HANDCOCK

I cant find any Marriage for Jemima/Caroline etc on there.
Could they all have moved to Glous?

With regard to the 1841 Census with Mary Cromwell as Head of Household with Mary and Mortimer Maurice it is possible she is a Wife of one of Catherines Siblings.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline famhis65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 October 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am so pleased someone has at last managed to trace Mary Cromwell and "Richard".

The story by 780 now makes sense as my Gt Gt Grandparents Alfred Richard and his wife Charlotte nee Hobbs lived at 4,Upper Trafalgar Place after their marriage and my Gt Grandmother Charlotte Elizabeth Cromwell has the address on her birth certificate.
If you have the marriage certificate of William Stock and Mary, does it say her status at marriage ie Spinster or could she have been a widow? It seems quite old for a first marriage
My Gt Grandmother was always changing her age, so much so they had to amend the death certificate! She also had an official and unofficial birthday and constantly called her children by middles or nickname so that adds to the confusion.
Keep hunting and good luck!!

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hi famhis, many thanks for the information, it is nice to be able to give Catherine some siblings. I wonder about the John Cromwell born in 1800 in Lyncomb Widcombe, as there was also a John Cromwell who married a Hannah in Lyncomb Widcombe in 1799 and I wonder if that John was their son and that Catherine and at least Isaac were the children of the John Cromwell and Hannah Fennell who married in 1788 at St. Michaels, Bath.
I tried to get into FreeReg but could only get into FreeBMD which begins at 1837 so could not see Catherine on her birth year of 1799. I went around and around that site but could not get into the part where I put the names up. I am not that technically savvy.
Thanks - Robin

Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin,

This link should take you straight to the Search page of FreeREG

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

There weren't very many Cromwells in Somerset, so it's probably easiest to just enter Cromwell in the Surname box, choose Somerset from the County list and leave the rest blank. Enter forenames or date ranges if you want to narrow the search. (Specifying a forename will give entries where either the child or a parent had that name.) To see the full details of an item in the list that comes up, click on the number at the start of the line.

Good luck with your search

David

Offline 780

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, on their marriage cert Mary Cromwell was a spinster and William Stock a widower.

There are several generations of Cromwell's in Rode, Somerset and prior to that the family may have lived in Westwood, Wiltshire which is very close to Rode. The Cromwell family first appear in Westwood in 1612 with the christening of a Christopher son of Christopher. There is then a 10yr gap in the register until 1622 with Christophers son William baptised in 1627. Then from 1634 until 1661 the register is lost. This means that we can't make the link through it. The family is firmly established by the 1670's with multiple baptisms all the way through to the 1720's when they almost disappear. Probably the first Christopher was the father of the whole clan in Westwood but because of the gap I can't say so for sure.

No Catherine's at all though..

Offline king william

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the FreeReg site - I have put it on to Favourites, I will now have a lovely play around the site.
Robin
Wiltshire, Somerset, Gloucestershire - Busshe/Bushe/Bush, Le Strange/Strange, Whittington, Gunning, Browning, Maltravers
Shropshire - le Strange
Wales - Daylwyn or Deulwyn, Rede, Wirriott,
East Sussex - Catt, Ashdown, Barham, Henley, Hepden, Elliott, Phillips
London - Bush, King, Millis, Jarvis, Mellis(s)
Suffolk - Sewell, Baxter, Martin
Norfolk  - Sewell, Larter, Howlett
Tasmania, Australia - Bossward, Wellman
Worcestershire - Beach
Wales, Bristol, Bermondsey - Maurice, Cromwell, Riley

Offline famhis65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 October 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Cromwell William Stock
I now have the marriage certificate but can't read the Profession of William, it looks like Pennant Mason ! Ann Nurse the witness was the wife of another Mason.
I have noticed the mistakes in the 1851 census - both of William's girls from his first marriage have the wrong birth year - I checked with Bath BMD so it's no wonder Alfred's age is wrong. His baptism record seems more accurate. I have followed through Alfred's half brother William Stock but can't find a death anywhere for his father William Stock, presumably it is between 1851 and 1861.
There is another marriage for a William Stock in 1860 - I wonder!!!

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Mary Cromwell William Stock
I now have the marriage certificate but can't read the Profession of William, it looks like Pennant Mason !

Pennants are Paving Stones. (I think strictly speaking Pennant is a type of stone, found in Gloucestershire,  but, locally at least, it is used for the paving stones which are made from it.)  Lots of them in Bath pavements.

David

Offline famhis65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
 I have looked up the 1852 Bath Directory it has the following entry

Stock, Wm.  (Nurse and Stock) pennant stone yard, Broad Quay, Bath.

Thanks for your help