Author Topic: Hagley Hall, Herefordshire  (Read 7244 times)

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hagley Hall, Herefordshire
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely ages ago someone was enquiring about Hagley Hall, Herefordshire. Any info would be welcome and I would like to give info too. It's listed somewhere as Lugwardine, actually it's in Bartestree, Hereford, an adjacent village running along the A438

Hi and Thank You for taking interest in this. I have spoken to The Council and the Planning department about Hagley Hall. I had a vague and totally unrealistic notion about buying it back! Anyway, It has been sold now but was up for sale at the time. From memory of what they told me it seems as with the modernisation of many old properties, sadly much of what was now isn't with old out buildings having been demolished and with the land divided for new building. Cheers Glamis.

Offline HAGLEYGAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 11:26 GMT (UK) »
You wouldn't have wanted it if you had seen the state of it but we'd been passing it for many years and it really intrigued us. The state of it was deplorable but my husband wanted to have a look at it when it came up for sale!
At his age he should have known better but fell in love with it too.
So about 4 years later we haven't quite finished the restoration but it shouldn't be too far away!
What was your original interest? I've just joined!
Just read the original posts.
I've loads of pics of the dereliction and how it is now and can tell you the little I know and what we've done to it. As a brick and timber house you really can't alter the original design

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hagleygal, Did you buy it then? I am envious. I am sure it was in a state as the pictures showed. My/Our interest is that my Great Grand Father who was John Herbert Hankins, was born there as the eldest of 10 children. His parents took them all to New Zealand in circa 1863. He was then just 17. Dalek39 is the Great (?)great Grand Daughter of JH Hankins youngest sister; Alice who was the baby of the brood. She was only 10 months or so when they left for NZ.

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry- I need to correct the post above as JH Hankins wasn't born at Hagley- he lived there with his parents and siblings. It is however, highly likely that his baby sister was born there.