Author Topic: How do You read old headstones.  (Read 8250 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
How do You read old headstones.
« on: Sunday 09 May 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if there were any tricks of the trade, so to speak, when it comes to reading old and weathered headstones.
Rubbing them with chalk or things like that.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How do You read old headstones.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Chalk is as good as any. Also try looking at it at different times of the day depending where the sun is

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
DON'T rub them with any substance ... they aren't (probably !) yours !   Old headstones can be flakey and rubbing them may flake off bits of stone.  Lichens and mosses growing on old stones are meant to be there ... and its illegal to scrape them off; many are rare species and headstones are the only places where they are found, and the various protection agencies are there to protect them ... and you would be fined if you damaged them !

Seriously, I've found the best way to see more clearly is to look at them at first light or dusk, and you can often see the writing more clearly when they are wet ... so pouring a bottle of water over them won't do any harm.   Take photo's from left, right and centrally, so that you have three to compare which helps with reading the writing. 

Take great care not to push headstones in case they topple ... it can take four men to lift one, and you don't want your foot under one !  Church wardens have a responsibility to check all headstones for safety ... but this doesn't mean all wardens have done so ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jill on the A272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Fingertips are better than eyes sometimes, you can feel the shape of the letters.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 11:06 BST (UK) »
30 years ago I transcribed many of my local churchyards here in Scotland. Lydart is perfectly correct in her advice about the stones, be careful of loose ones and try not to touch the lichens (but, it is tempting!).

All those years ago I had to do it the hard way, pencil and paper then type the whole thing up on my old Remington (the noise drove my dog mad).
I always found that the low sun of the autumn mornings and afternoons was the best for reading stones.
Nowadays, I take digital photographs and mess around with them on the computer, I find I can read almost everything.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
I have taken digital photos of some gravestones on which writing is not very clear due to deterioration of the stone but on scanning them into the computer the writing was fairly clear.