Author Topic: Bridgnorth Workhouse & District School Quatt Jarvis  (Read 5351 times)

Offline jennifertyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bridgnorth Workhouse & District School Quatt Jarvis
« on: Saturday 26 March 05 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for information on the Union Workhouse in Bridgnorth and the South East Shropshire District School - Quatt Jarvis.

My g-grandfather, William Hughes, was born in the Bridgnorth workhouse in 1881 and the 1891 census shows him as an inmate of the South East Shropshire District School - Quatt Jarvis.  I am looking for any kind of information that might be out there regarding these two places.  Particularly what the admittance requirements for the school were.  He was there with both of his siblings but I cannot locate his mother, Ellen Hughes (formally Howells) in the 1891 census.  She could have remarried by this time but it seems that if the children were at a school for pauper children she would have still been in a workhouse. 

So any info on how the system worked at that time would really be helpful!!!

Kind Regards,
Jennifer
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.

Offline linnet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth Workhouse & District School Quatt Jarvis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The following website has some very useful info:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/education.html#Industrial

Regards

Linnet

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
There is a very good article ( very well researched) all about Quatt School  in a book by Alveley Historical Society -
Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll give you the address to write to.
Kindest Regards
Alveleyhistorian ( alveley is next parish to Quatt)

Ps it's no longer called Quatt Jarvis - Just "Quatt"

Offline LMP

• RootsChat Member
  • --
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hello, I hope you have not read my email twice, I had problems with my first attempt

I have williams  brother in my tree and today found them being in the district school in Quatt Jarvis, I than used a search engine to try and find out about the school and your email popped up

I do not have a lot of information other than James (william brother)
married and on his marriage certificate it gave the fathers name as William
and that Ellen signed the register ,no mention of the mother.

James married in 1902 in LInfyillin to Charlotte Roberts ,  do not have any other information can you help please ?  Kind Regards Liz
 ???

Offline jennifertyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz - I just sent you a PM before I saw this message but I think this is the same family!!!!  My grandmother remembers her father (William) saying that before he moved to the US his brother married and had about 6 kids and she thought his wife's name was Charlotte.

It has been hard doing research because once William moved to the US he lost contact with his family in England.  So I am depending on info that his children remember.  William was my great-grandfather on my mothers side of the family.

How are you related to James?

Please PM me back because we can share a lot of information!

Offline duckcharm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Twin brothers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for information on the Union Workhouse in Bridgnorth and the South East Shropshire District School - Quatt Jarvis.
any info on how the system worked at that time would really be helpful!!!

Kind Regards,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

My grandfather and 2 siblings were also inmates at the South East Shropshire District School during the 1891 census.  I found their widowed mother and two baby siblings had taken on her maiden name and lived with her maternal uncle.

Have you learned anything about "how the system worked"?  I am confused in this case because rather than calling the uncle 'Uncle', he is named as Father to the mother and Grandfather to the baby siblings in the 1891 census.

Can you or anyone help me to understand? Or is it just my mistake?

Warm regards, Duck
Shropshire: James, Lawley, Mumford, Dyer
Cumberland: Pattinson, Russell, Knight, Hanna, Durham

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright.

Offline jennifertyler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Duck - I have not really found out that much.  On some of the previous posts their are links to some interesting sites.  At first I thought that the school would just be for the children of those that were inmates of the local Workhouses.  But maybe it could be for any children who were from poor families.  Because my relatives and it sounds like yours as well were there but their parent(s) were not living at the workhouse.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,
I can't help you with your data request, but I thought the following may be of interest.
Source: A Grim Almanac of the Workhouse by Peter Higginbotham, ISBN 978-0-7524-8739-7
Bridgnorth Workhouse, 27th February 1894
William Davies, an inmate of the Bridgnorth workhouse, was today sentenced to three years' penal servitude for a murderous assault on Robert Mantel, another inmate, aged seventy-five years. The two had met in the workhouse garden on New Year's Day, when Mantel asked Davies why he had wheeled a barrow against him. Davies responded by striking Mantel on the head several times with a stone-breaking hammer and inflicting serious wounds.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway