Author Topic: Angus MacArthur and Annie MacLeod, Lewis  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Angus MacArthur and Annie MacLeod, Lewis
« on: Monday 10 May 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Melbourne Australia!
I am fairly new to genealogy and have met a hurdle in my research which I cannot overcome. I am searching for marriage and birth records for my great grandfather, Angus MacArthur and my great grandmother, Annie MacLeod. From the 1891 census I have been able to find out that Angus was born about 1848 and  the birth certificate of my grandmother, Christina MacArthur shows his marriage to Annie to have taken place at Barvas in 1872. However, I am unable to find him in the BMD records of Scotland's People. I wonder if the original records would have been written in Gaelic which was the language in common use at that time and, if so, what sort of spelling would have been used in the translation? Finally, my ancestors were members of the Free Presbyterian Church so would this have affected the records? I have been able to locate my grandmother's marriage certificate even though she was married in the Free Presbyterian Church in Stornoway. I'd be really grateful for suggestions. As I am new to this type of research there may be an avenue that I have overlooked.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Angus MacArthur and Annie MacLeod, Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 May 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat  :)

I've found the marriage on the Scotlands People site.

Note that they are down as Mcarthur and Mcleod not Mac - very common in Scottish records

Barvas 1872 - Angus McArthur and Ann McLeod. You will be able to search the index and view the whole entry for 6 units (=£1.20)

This will also give you the names of both sets of parents  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 May 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget. I do appreciate your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 May 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Happy to help  :)

Re your grandmother - have you tried Chris* M*carth*r?

In what year was she married?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cileag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Gadget.
I have been able to locate my grandmother in the census and I have also obtained her marriage certificate. I haven't yet tried to search for her birth certificate so I will keep in mind your advice re spelling of Macarthur and other Mac/ Mc names when I do and also for future research.