Author Topic: William Wilcox born Staffs/Birmingham 1855  (Read 1859 times)

Offline jackiemck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wilcox born Staffs/Birmingham 1855
« on: Monday 10 May 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help me....

I am desperate to find any information I can about my Great Grandfather William Wilcox.

I have found that he married my Great Grandmother Eleanor Clark 4th August 1877 at Workington, Cumberland (registration district Cockermouth).

On his marriage certificate he records his fathers name and surname as William Wilcox Dec'd and fathers profession as Glass Worker.

In the 1881 Census he records his age as 26 (abt 1855) born Staffordshire.
In the 1891 Census he records his age as 36 (abt 1855) born Birmingham.
In the 1901 Census he records his age as 46 (abt 1855) born Staffs, Birmingham
In the 1911 Census he records his age as 56 (abt 1855) born Staffordshire.

I would love to know about his life before he appeared in Workington, Cumberland and married.  I am going around in circles with census records trying to find him.  Can anyone help me or suggest what I should do?

Can anyone help my sanity!!!!!
Many Thanks
Jackie

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wilcox born Staffs/Birmingham 1855
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Just to be able to track them can you give us the 1881 census ref piece , folio and page numbers.
cheers cardiff  ;)

All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Its down as  Wilcose in 1881  ;)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline jackiemck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 10 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cardiff and Patrish

Thank you so much for your interest and help.  Sorry - I obviously knew that Wilcox was transcribed as Wilcose in the 1881 census, but am a novice in regards to this and wasn't sure what I should put - its a good lesson.

To give you the only other piece of info I know which I think could be of help, from my learnings in doing my family tree, its in regard to children's names they are often passed down through the family.  So here goes, William and Eleanor had the following children :

William Henry
Eleanor (*named after mother)
Robert (*named after Eleanor's father)
James (*named after Eleanor's cousin)
Isabella (*named after Eleanor's cousin)
Tom Johnston (*named after Eleanor's cousin)
John Bailiff (*named after Eleanor's uncle)
Harry (my grandfather)
Catherine Bailiff (*named after Eleanor's aunt)
Edward

* Eleanor's parents died young and from what I can find she lived with her aunt and uncle from age 12 (maybe earlier) so alot of her children are named after this family.

There could be some duplication in names within William's family and thats what I am trying to find, but the names which I cannot account for being William Henry, Harry (my grandfather was named Harry not Henry) and Edward.

Thanks again
Jackie

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Try as I might I cannot see a William Wilcox b. 1856 (his age is consistant on all the census) on the 1861 with a father William who is glass worker or with any relevance to the family names you have supplied.

Searching the birth index's there is more than one possible considering his age could be out by a couple of years.  :(
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline jackiemck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrish

Thank you very much for trying anyway, I really appreciate it.

Jackie

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 May 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

I have searched the 1851 census for a William head of household a glass blower in the Staffordshire area but no luck.

I am beginning to think that this could be another case where William b 1856 might be illegitimate and invented his fathers name and occupation on his marriage cert, :-\  it was common practice

Offline jackiemck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrish

Thats really interesting, had not thought of this but now that your saying it, it makes sense.  I have just searched BMD for all the William Wilcox's born in Staffordshire and Warwickshire (Birmingham) and am going to order the birth certicificates.  I don't know whether this will give me what I need, but worth a go. 

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.

Thanks again
Jackie

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Jackie,

I tried to do a  post  on your behalf quoting this link  on the Warwickshire board to see if someone there might be able to find him but its been locked by the mods  ???

Patrish  :)