Author Topic: Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe  (Read 9133 times)

Offline bcap

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to sort out all the Best families.  There are so many Bests in the area; it is sometimes overwhelming!.

Thanks Kat for exanding on the Bocombra Best families.
The will of Jane Best of Bocombra (1817) is quite lengthy and names only 3 of the 6 sons as inheriting lands – James, Richard, and David.  Looking at the freeholder records on Proni, the Griffith’s valuation and later the census, I would guess that the Best families living in Bocombra were descendants of some of the children named in the will.

It is possible that Dav’s James Best is a grandson of the James or another son mentioned in the Will. The will mentions Elizabeth, a daughter of James and family records indicate that there was a son James jr. as well. IGI lists a James Best b. c1828 Bocombra marrying Jane born c1830, Bocombra in 1848.  Lists only one child, Anne Jane born May 5, 1850 Bocombra.

I am not certain if any of David Best’s descendants stayed in Bocombra other than Ann Best who married William Thompson.  William is listed as a leaseholder in the Griffiths Valuation.  (Does anyone have any information on any descendants?)

Hannah Best (1815-1871) married John Capper (1807-1869) and lived in Lurgan and later Belfast. I do not believe that any of David Best’s sons survived.
Family records state that David Best married Anne Malcolmson and were the parents of Anne and Hannah.  However, the Montgomery Papers are different and state that James Best married Esther Malcolmson and were the above children’s parents.

Not certain of the religion though some of the Malcolmson’s were Methodists and John Capper (1807-1869) became a Methodist when a young man.
A letter written to John Capper (Hannah Best’s husband) in 1835 from George Henry in Bocombra refers to some family disagreement between James and David Best over their mother’s, Jane Best’s, 1817 Will.

Civil Marriage Record of Richey Best (Bocomera) father Richard Best and Mary Jane Montgomery (Lylo) father Robert, 06/12/1851, Portadown 1st Pres. Witness Thomas Malcolmson, Samuel Fergus.

Civil Marriage Record of Richard Best (Bocombra) father Richey Best and Lizzy McConnell (Tuberhuney) father William 19/09/1888 Shankill Methodist.

Civil Marriage Record of Robert Richey Best (Portadown), father Richey Best and Sarah Jane Anderson (Lurgan), father James Anderson 09/11/1904 Moira Presbyterian.

I am not familiar with Richard Best and wife Sarah Johnston.

Regarding James Best and Maggie in Bocombra 1911 census; could this James be the son of Sarah Best who died Nov 12, 1895 in Bocombra?  Proni will of Sarah lists 4 children, James, Richard, Sarah and Mary.
If anyone wants a copy of the will of Jane Best, let me know.
Bev

Offline aljepeka

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 January 13 01:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of the headstone of Mary Best, wife of James Best which should relate to these families from Bocombra Townland. She died in 1831.It was taken at Shankill Graveyard in Lurgan. The file size is too large to upload so if any of you would like it emailed to you send me a pm
Hope it proves useful.

Regards,
Aljepeka
HARVEY-Drumnagoon/Seagoe/Portadown
McMURRAY,GIBSON,FITZSIMMONS-Crossmacaughley/Crossmacahilly/Moyraverty/Portadown
WOODS-Knocknamuckley/Portadown
CARDWELL,MORELAND-Dromore/Dromara/Waringstown
BOWEN-Tipperary
FREEBURN-Tartaraghan/Drumcree/Derrylard/Portadown