Author Topic: Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe  (Read 9125 times)

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hello I am trying to find out some more info on my Best ancestors, I know very little of them,they seem to come from the Bocombra Seagoe Portadown area, there was a James Best born probably in the early 1800s his wife's name was Jane and they had 3 children that I know of ( I am sure there would have been others) namely Mary b about 1841 d about 1914, Anne Jane b 1849 d 1878 and Emma or Eliza.
Mary Best married John McCord on the 03/08/1875 in Portadown and they had 2 sons John Ritchie McCord b 1878 and Thomas David Best McCord b 18/03/1881 at Bocombra.
Anne Jane Best married a Joseph Somerville in 1875 at Portadown and went to New Zealand where she died in 1878.
I think James Best died in the 1850s and that his wife may have remarried to a man called Thomas Hall.
Thany you
Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Ranachan/Rannachan  Renfrewshire/Glasgow
Elliot/Elliott Glasgow Falkirk Dumfries
Lowrie/Laurie Renfrewshire Glasgow
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Manley Hemyock Uffculme Sidbury
Stratton Bristol

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Best and McCord families of Bocombra/Seagoe
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
Dav,
      The following is not much but I noticed that a Jane Best was renting a house and just over 6 Acres of land in Bocombra in 1864. In the same townland there also lived Richard Best, David Best and Ritchie Best. Information can be found in the Griffiths Valuation.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to Griffith's Valuation so you can see it for yourself (links to scanned pages and maps there)-
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

IGI has a birth record for John Ritchey McCord born 26 Dec.1876 [not born 1878] Co. Armagh, son of John McCord and Mary Best.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Dav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 05:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks kingskerwell and aghadowey for the leads you have provided me, the Jane Best in Bocombra looks very promising indeed.
aghadowey you are right about John Ritchey McCord being born 26/12/1876 my records show the same, don't know why I put 1878.
Once again thanks very much.
Dav
McCormick Glasgow
Docherty Glasgow
Stafford Renfrewshire
Ranachan/Rannachan  Renfrewshire/Glasgow
Elliot/Elliott Glasgow Falkirk Dumfries
Lowrie/Laurie Renfrewshire Glasgow
Nimmo Glasgow Alloa
Grant Bewickshire
Thomson Glasgow
McKiernan Cavan Glasgow
Shannon Glasgow
Mullan Glasgow
White Rothsay Glasgow
Manley Hemyock Uffculme Sidbury
Stratton Bristol

Offline ibtm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi-My great grandfather was William Best, an egg farmer in Armagh---I think Richill.  His son was Thomas Best. 

Moderator's Note: if you can help with information on William Best please post replies on this thread-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,458252.0.html

Offline bcap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 02:34 BST (UK) »
Dav,

I have an original will of Jane Best, widow of James Best , of Bocombra, Seagoe written in 1817.

Jane names 6 sons; James, John, Robert, William, David, and Richard Best. I am descended from David.  The sons were probably born in the 1780's.

I  only know of 2 surviving children of David, namely daughters Hannah Best born 1815 who married John Capper and Anne Best who married William Thompson.

There are several Bests living in Bocombra on the 1901 and 1911 census but I am unable to trace them back to this family.

Bev

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 05:51 BST (UK) »
John Ritchie McCord briefly joined the coldstream guards,,,he attested 4th Sep 1896,,,and bought himself out in November. The record therefore doesnt tell you much,,,but it does give a description of him.
He was 5 ft  11" .. 151 lb..  fresh complexion,grey eyes and brown hair. ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 19:17 BST (UK) »
Gravestones:

Richard Best  Bocombra in memory of his son William Henry who departed this life 20th May, 1910 aged 15 years.  Also his beloved wife Elizabeth born May 1st, 1863, died 10th  June, 1929, Also his loving daugher Lily who died 8th January 1933. Also his beloved daughter Eva who died 18th January, 1839, The above named Richard Best who died 6th February, 1941.  Also his beloved daughter Jane Anna who died 28th April, 1846.  Also his beloved daughter Violet who died 4th Nov 1999.

This Richard was born about 1855.  He and Elizabeth (probably McConnell m. 1888)  had son Malcomson in the 1901 census.  This is perhaps a reference  to David Best's probable  wife Anne Malcomson, David being thought to be  the son of James and Jane Best.

Erected by James and Richard Best  Bocombra
In memory of their mother Sarah who departed this life Nov 12th., 1895 aged 71 years.
Also James's children Sarah died 7th Feb 1900 aged 11 years  J. Blane died 23rd Feb 1906 aged 10 months Ethel M. died 31st Jan 1907  aged 11 years  Also Margaret beloved wife of James  died 27th April 1919 aged 57 years  Also the above James Best died 31st March 1945  aged 94 years "Gathered home one by one"
on the surround
Also David born 1st March 1893 died 18th July, 1968.  Also Annie wife of David born 14th September 1895 died 25th August 193(0?)

This is Bocombra 1911 family James and Maggie(probably Davison m. 1888)  with Lizzie, David, Alice and Joseph. Is Richard the Richard Best who had mother Jane, wife Sarah Johnston and children James,. Thomas, Silas, and Elizabeth Jane  and was in a 1879 Drumnagoon census with them?

Richard Best of Bocombra in memory of his beloved wife Mary Jane who departed this life 1st Feb1876 aged 47 years and his daughter Jemima Jane who departed this life 15th october 1892 aged 36 years and the above Ritchey Best departed this life 9th Feb 1904  aged 80  Also Elizabeth, wife of William youngest son of Ritchey Best died 3rd Sept 1953 aged 81 years  also William Best died 16th? April 1959 aged 87 years.

This particular Richard had father Richard according to the marriage record and  had sons Robert R.  and Thomas in the  Bocombra 1901 census and son Henry. Richard married Mary Jane Montgomery in 1851 Son Robert R. might be the Richard who married Sarah Jane Holland in 1905. 

Henry Somerville and Hannah Thornton had a son Joseph whose 2 wives are unknown.  Joseph was born in 1840, moved to Canada, then NZ, then Australia.  Eleanor and Gena are daughters of his first wife and Peter is the son of his second.  Is this Joseph who married a Best?

Also a Bocombra James and Margaret Best had Robert baptized in Jan, 21 1831 at Seagoe and Ann Best married William Thompson there, but I assume a Portadown Presbyterian church is the families' church.