Author Topic: Bangle & Mansfield family  (Read 2247 times)

Offline bluestorm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bangle & Mansfield family
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 05:18 BST (UK) »
 Looking for help with my 5th G Grandparents. Thomas & Sarah Bangle. Thomas born abt 1780. They had a child bapt. 1818 Harston Cambridgeshire James Bangle who married Elizabeth Hannah Mansfield on the 19 Sept 1839 and Imm to Australia in 1840. Elizabeth was the daughter of Thomas & Mary Mansfield bapt. 9 May 1819 Brinkley Cambridgeshire. So other than this I have hit a brickwall. So if anyone has an idea on how to unblock keeping in mined that I'm also in Australia.
Thanks Lee-anne

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bangle & Mansfield family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee-anne

Welcome to Rootschat

That's not a brickwall!

What's your evidence that James' father was Thomas? I think he was Edward. That might be why you think you've hit a brick wall!

If you check the Cambs FHS Baptism Index at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html the only James Bangle was baptised in Harston in 1818 son of Edward and Sarah, who also baptised a number of other children. And if you check what should be your first port of call, the IGI at www.familysearch.org, you'll find his baptism in Harston on 22 March 1818 where his parents are named as Edward Bangle and Sarah Stubblefield. There was an earlier daughter so they probably married c1815/16, possibly at Hauxton which according to censuses (see below) is where Sarah was born.

The IGI has a baptism of Edward Bangle in 1788 in Harston, and an Edward Bangle age 70 was buried at Harston on 12 May 1847. There's no Thomas burial that I can find

In 1851 living in Harston was Sarah Bangle head widow 64 born Hauxton Cambs and Susan Bangle daughter unmarried 25 born Harston. Susanna was another daughter of Edward and Sarah on the Baptism Index

In 1841 living in Harston was
Edward Bangle 60 ?Reed..osier?? smudged
Sarah Bangle 45
Sarah Bangle 11 (apparently she also emigrated to Australia along with another brother, Henry)
All born in Cambs (Ages in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below so 60 covered an age range of 60-64)

In 1861 in Harston: Sarah Bangle head widow 73 Ag lab's widow b Hauxton

Sarah Bangle age 72 was buried at Harston on 14 Feb 1863

Unfortunately Hauxton parish register hasn't been extracted onto the IGI, although a transcript is available from Cambs FHS. Hopefully someone else reading this will have the Cambs marriage Index

Elizabeth Mansfield is straightforward - her baptism and the assumed marriage in 1815 of her parents in Brinkley are on the IGI. There are two trees on Ancestry.com which include this family. But be warned that online trees should only be taken as a guide as they're only as good as the research that goes into them. Many are just copied from someone else's online tree so errors are perpetuated.

David
In France, which shows that living in Australia or France doesn't mean that you can't research your Cambs ancestors! You just have to know where to look.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bluestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 01:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 10 02:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too Lee-anne.  :)

I'm guessing you got the parent's names from an Australian death index or certificate? If so incorrect names are a pretty common occurrence.  ;)

Offline bluestorm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 10 02:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I had but I recieved the marriage reg Friday and confirmed that the fathers were Edward for James Bangle & Thomas for Elizabeth Mansfield. I'm now busy tracking James' siblings.
Thanks again Lee-anne

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 10 02:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I had but I recieved the marriage reg Friday and confirmed that the fathers were Edward for James Bangle & Thomas for Elizabeth Mansfield. I'm now busy tracking James' siblings.
Thanks again Lee-anne

That's good news.  :)