Author Topic: Cwmorthin families  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Mapit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cwmorthin families
« on: Wednesday 12 May 10 05:59 BST (UK) »
Would anyone with ancestors having lived in Cwmorthin please get in touch.
I am involved in a project on the history of the cwm and its people and you may be able to contribute.
Thank you
Mapit
Cwmorthin

Offline petedenney83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Cwmorthin families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I stumbled across this post whilst doing some research of my own. I do not live in Cwmorthin and i'm not even Welsh, so i'm sorry I can't help you. However I am greatly interested in the area and its industry and as an artist I am looking to create a series of paintings showcasing the life that people led and what the landscapes/buildings look liked in the 19th century.

The project I am currently working on is a Sunday congregation pouring out of the old Capel Tiberias (Cwmorthin Quarry Chapel opposite Llyn Cwmorthin).

I have a few missing pieces to this particular puzzle, chief among which is pictures of which I only have 1 grainy black and white distance shot, which has been helpful but I have a couple more questions. The Chapel appears to have a graveyard, are there any records that indicate whether this was ever used? And were there actual gravestones in this yard at some stage?

If you have any pictures or any idea where I could find such information then I would be very grateful. All the best on your project and it would be good to hear the outcome.

Kind regards

Peter

Offline Mapit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 January 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Sorry no other pictures exist of it complete and you also have the wrong name.
It is called Capel y Gorlan. Tiberias was the Independent Chapel a few hundred yards towards the mouth of the lake.
Neither chapel had a graveyard, but Gorlan has a wall around it.
PM your postal address to me and I'll send you some data from the project.
best wishes
Mel
Cwmorthin

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 January 13 04:36 GMT (UK) »
My grandparents grew up in Dolrhedyn, as did my great grandfather. My mother was raised in Tanygrisiau, and both my brother and I too. If there's any thing I could help you with, feel free to ask.
As for Capel Garlan, I have a photo that was taken around 20 years ago, if of any help. My grandfather has lived there for most of his life, and is now into his 80's. If you have any questions you would like me to pass on to him,I could also check to see if he may have a photo for you.