Author Topic: Babette Truckenmuller from Wuerttemberg  (Read 5304 times)

Offline johngarstang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Babette Truckenmuller from Wuerttemberg
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 December 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eva, Margaret Magdalene Catherine Truckenmueller (Lena) was born in Germany on 2 May 1872 and died in Wakefield in 1953.  She was definitely the sister of  Marie Sturm, ((1871-1951).  They are identified as such in the 1911 census living at 54 Wakefield Road, Normanton.  Lena was  married to William Whitehead, a clerk in 1909, but he died. Her second husband was Joseph Whiteley Batty (1881-1977), a pork butcher and later a joiner from Warmfield, Wakefield. Joe was my wife's great uncle. Joe and Lena had a son, Walter (1916-1989) an Oxford graduate and teacher. Lena and Marie's father was George, a boot maker from Germany.

We assume Lena and Marie came to England in the 1890s, but not sure why or with whom.  We have tried unsuccessfully to linked Lena and Marie with Christian, Charles and Babette, so if anyone can help that would be good.   There are a lot of Truckenmuellers in Baden Wurtemburg, and clearly a number came to England, mainly in the pork butcher business.  Perhaps it was easier to set up business in England. there were certainly a number of German pork butchers in Wakefield, eg Hofmann and Ziegler. Hope this helps.

Offline johngarstang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 January 14 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Further to my note to Eva, I have more information on the Truckenmuellers, or Truckenmiller as they were known.   Charles Albert T. (1878-1945) was the brother of Magdalene (Lena) and her sister Marie.  He must have been a successful Bradford pork butcher since he left £3847 in 1945! Charles married Anna Margaretha Schellman (1878-1931) at Normanton in 1899 and she was the daughter of George Sigismund Schellman.   Their children were Albert George, Fred, Florrie, Annie and Alice (died at birth). Charles married  second wife Elizabeth Martin in 1935.

Marie  (1871-1951) married Martin Sturm (1868-1917, a Pork Butcher in 1898. He left just £88.
Their children were Joseph Frederick (died at birth), Marie, Amelia, Rosa Margaret (Rosie) and I think Genevieve??

I still search for a connection with Babette and Christian. His full name may have been John Christian.  Hope this is of help to any other Truckenmueller researchers.

Offline AndrewKashmir

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Babette Truckenmuller from Wuerttemberg and Walter Batty
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 August 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I was taught at Leeds Grammar School by Walter Batty, who was the head of history when I was a pupil in the late 1960s and early 1970s. I visited him a couple of times at his home in Warmfield, where he lived with his very elderly father who still kept a couple of pigs and had some joinery equipment. I am intrigued that Walter's mother's first husband was a Whitehead, which is my surname. I don't suppose it's from my branch of the family, but wonder if you know anything more about William Whitehead?

Andrew Whitehead

Offline illingworth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I am afraid I don't know anything about a William Batty.

I do know a Whitehead was married to a Crawshaw somewhere along my line.

Sorry I can't help you.