Author Topic: 1851 Census lookup please - Completed  (Read 3271 times)

Offline broonyboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Census lookup please - Completed
« on: Wednesday 12 May 10 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I realise there is a post relating to clemmy below, but was quite an old one and I tried to resurrect it but to no avail  :'(

I believe I have traced my wifes paternal line back to a thomas Clemmey (mentioned in the earlier post) who was christened in Beetham in Dec 1812 and moved to Newcastle where he married Jane Dewar c. 1840.  I believe they had 5 children all born in Newcastle.

I was trying to make the link with his family in Westmoreland and  Francis has found some christening and one marriage record in Westmoreland for Thomas Clemmy's but I am unsure how to make the link between them.  On another website I found mention of "CLEMMY Agnes (69) : Robinson (34) Agnes (34) Jane (8) John (6) Agnes (3) Elinor (1) : Thomas (72) William (36) William
(16) (2442 Fols 533-654)", from the 1851 census, but was unsure how the households were made up.

I would be ever so grateful if someone could try and trace these clemmys in the 1851 census to see if this is Thomas that would be the father of the Thomas that came to Newcastle.

I hope I haven't been too confusing, as I am relatively new to all of this.

Hope you can help.

Neale

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Neale,

There appears to be 3 different groups. Agnes (69) is on her own at Dallam Tower Lodge; Robinson (34) - master tailor, and family in Heversham; Thomas (72) - widow, house carpenter & farmer of 45 acres with son & grandson. They all seem to be living within a couple of miles and could all therefore be related.

The IGI lists a baptism for Robinson Clemmy s/o Thomas at Heversham 24 Nov 1816. This fits in with probable father Thomas and brother William. Heversham & Beetham parish churches are also only a couple of miles apart and a connection would therefore seem likely.

Chris

Offline broonyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris

Strange this, as Thomas who came to Newcastle (ch.1812 m.1840 d.1870) was also a tailor. So it is looking like Thomas Snr. had Thomas jnr (who came to Newcastle) and Robinson as a son (in fact there is a record for the marriage of a Robinson Clemmy (1841) in FreeBMD with an Agnes THORNTON on the same page in Newcastle), so possible the boys came to Newcastle but then Robinson Returned.

I'm pretty new to all of this and am struggling to think of a way to prove that this 72 year old Thomas is the father of Thomas and Robinson.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, and many thanks for the help.

Neale

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
If the census information has lead you to his baptism in Beetham, you have 2 alternatives. Either find someone with the family tree from other chatrooms, as per the previous post, or assemble the family of Thomas & Jane yourself from the parish records at Kendal Records Office. Why not combine it with a break in the Lakes?

Offline broonyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
sounds like a plan :)

Many thanks Chris.

Neale