Author Topic: Golden Lion : Bridgnorth  (Read 3826 times)

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Golden Lion : Bridgnorth
« on: Thursday 13 May 10 00:27 BST (UK) »
Requesting help with any references in Shropshire directories, photos or recollections of my great-uncle Thomas Carran. He was the landlord of a public house in Bridgnorth during WWII (I believe that it was the Golden Lion).  I have emailed the current landlord of the now freehouse but no success. Unfortunately I am based in Massachusetts so can`t easily pop in for a real pint !

Any assistance most gratefully received.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Lion : Bridgnorth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Requesting help with any references in Shropshire directories, photos or recollections of my great-uncle Thomas Carran. He was the landlord of a public house in Bridgnorth during WWII (I believe that it was the Golden Lion).  I have emailed the current landlord of the now freehouse but no success. Unfortunately I am based in Massachusetts so can`t easily pop in for a real pint !

Any assistance most gratefully received.

Your best solution may be a letter to the letters page of the local newspaper in Bridgnorth - 'google' - The Bridgnorth Journal
Good Luck  :) :) :)

Offline NEW ENGLAND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello DrD.

I think the suggestion from Alveleyhistorian is excellent and will bring you some response.  I remember visiting the Golden Lion during WWII with my grandmother. This would have been approximately 1941 - 1943 when I was 4/6 yrs.old.

I don't know who was the landlord then but my memory of the pub was going through into a back living room (children were not allowed in public houses then) because there was a very colourful parrot which kept me amused while my Nan had a Guinness.

Good luck with your search.

New England

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 23:32 BST (UK) »
The landlord (my Great-uncle Tom Carran) was a generous man and despite losing a foot and part of his leg during the battle of the Somme showed no animosity and allowed German WWII POWs to have a pint at the rear of the pub during their work break.  His daughter was very ill and confined to bed most of the time in an upstairs room overlooking the street.   Thanks to all, trying to preserve these memories for our descendents.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline DrD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
The local paper was very helpful and will publish a letter this week, thanks for the suggestion.

The parrot that used to reside in the Golden Lion pub is gaining notoriety, I have several pieces of information that together may result in the parrot`s own family history. We may know more about this bird than some ancestors in the family tree !

Once again thanks to all for your advice.

DrD

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 May 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
These may be of some use:

Bridgnorth & District History Society
Mr A Webb, 77 Duchess Drive, Bridgnorth, Shropshire WV16 4JB

Bridgnorth History Research Group
Ms H Dent, c/o The Library, Listley Street, Bridgnorth, Shropshire WV16 4AW

Bridgnorth historian Clive Gwilt is also happy to answer any Bridgnorth queries. His address is-
Mr Clive Gwilt, 35 Bramble Ridge, Bridgnorth Shropshire WV16 4QS

Mr Gwilt has published several books and loads of pamphlets  on Bridnorth, if anyone can help, he can.

good luck,
s.g.d.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
The local paper was very helpful and will publish a letter this week, thanks for the suggestion.

The parrot that used to reside in the Golden Lion pub is gaining notoriety, I have several pieces of information that together may result in the parrot`s own family history. We may know more about this bird than some ancestors in the family tree !

Once again thanks to all for your advice.

DrD

Hi there,
The letter was in the paper !
 Good Luck !

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives