Author Topic: Ryder family in New Ross  (Read 6973 times)

Offline MKsylvia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ryder family in New Ross
« on: Friday 14 May 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any access to or any information about this family?

All I know is that they were George and Sarah Ryder, they lived at 1 Marsh Lane NewRoss Wexford

They had 6 children, who I know about and my grandmother was one of them, Isabella. The others were John, Elizabeth, Sarah, Florence and one other I don't have a name for.

George was born 1864 and was a master mariner.

ANY other information as to who Sarah was before she was married or the Ryders further back would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Birch Bailey, Ransley and Hogben in Bilsington, Bonnington Ruckinge areas of Kent. Price in Chadlington and Enstone, Oxfordshire. Doughty in Mildenhall Suffolk and Raynham Norfolk.  Ryder and Ellis in County Wexford Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ryder family in New Ross
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Birth certificate for your grandmother (or any of her siblings) will list mother's maiden name.

This is the 1911 census entry for the family. There is no street number for the property listed ('1' is the number of the house on the census form).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/New_Ross__Urban/Marsh_Lane/690119/

Form says married 21 years so marriage took place around 1890. At the moment the civil index is not available (hopefully LDS are fixing problems that have appeared since recent update).

The 1901 census is due to be added in June 2010.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MKsylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the info,

I have already seen the census which is where I got what I already have about the faimly.

Unfortunately we don't have any documents we can refer to at all.

Birch Bailey, Ransley and Hogben in Bilsington, Bonnington Ruckinge areas of Kent. Price in Chadlington and Enstone, Oxfordshire. Doughty in Mildenhall Suffolk and Raynham Norfolk.  Ryder and Ellis in County Wexford Ireland.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
It's not possible to do further research online at the moment as it requires searching the Civil Index which as aghadowey mentioned is not available at the moment.

When it's back online I'd say the first step would be to find a reference for the birth of one of the children - the youngest, or least commonly occurring name is usually best, in this case Isabella born about 1908, and use the references to order a birth cert. The details on this will include her mother's maiden name, which will then help find the correct marriage in the index.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 10 19:38 BST (UK) »

Unfortunately we don't have any documents we can refer to at all.

do you have marriage details for Isabella ?

A marriage cert would give her father's name and occupation and would confirm her connection to this family.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline MKsylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

No as I said we have no documents at all.  My grandmother died in 1969. I shall to wait for the LDS site.

I understand about ordering certificates I have done this many times, but have never dealt with the Irish side of it.

Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
The familysearch Irish BMD Index is working at the moment and there's a possible marriage for George & Sarah :

Name: George Ryder
 Registration District: New Ross
 Event Type: Marriage
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1890
 Volume Number: 4
 Page Number: 317

Name: Sarah Ellis
 [same index details]

I dont see a match for Isabella's birth at the moment.

see the topic 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on searching the BMD index, ordering certs etc

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
a probable index match for Isabella's birth :

Name: Isabella Ryder
 Registration District: New Ross
 Event Type: Birth
 Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1907
 Volume Number: 4 / Page Number: 553

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline MKsylvia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Shane.

Where do I order this from? GRO?

Sylvia