Author Topic: francis williams  (Read 2348 times)

Offline hartland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
francis williams
« on: Friday 14 May 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
i am researching my paternal side of the family.  i have managed to trace back to the 1841 census, my g/grandfather, he was living with his mother Mary williams at , The New House, Mamble, Cleobury Mortimer. i am now stuck, has any one any knowledge  of this area and where i might look, i live in Lancashire and can't easily travel. any help will be much appreciated.
williams, aston ~ handsworth, Baldwin. Aston, ~Wellington .   Spencer, Bristol, Somerset, Aston.  Parkes, Bristol~Birmingham.  Brittain,  Ludlow,~Birmingham,  Harper,  Birmingham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: francis williams
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

You haven't given any details of his age in 1841?  Is he shown as born in county?

Have you checked the IGI for a baptism?

His marriage cert will show his fathers name

Can you post details of the 1841 reference HO107 piece/book/folio and page number as I can't find him at the moment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hartland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolw, Francis is down as 25yrs in 1841, which makes his birth 1816. i shall have to try and find my record of the census details before i can give you the other details.  Jackie
williams, aston ~ handsworth, Baldwin. Aston, ~Wellington .   Spencer, Bristol, Somerset, Aston.  Parkes, Bristol~Birmingham.  Brittain,  Ludlow,~Birmingham,  Harper,  Birmingham.

Offline hartland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 May 10 17:05 BST (UK) »
hi carolw,   I have'nt been able to find the details of the census, where i found g/grand father. i found him on the ancestry site but my subscription has expired.  i will have to send for his marriage certificate, i think he married in cleobury mortimer in june 1843, and i wll take from there. thank you for your help. jackie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 May 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've found him (I think) - indexed as Francis William aged 25 mother Mary 60 but neither the address you quote or the area matches the entry

It was St Margaret's Clee and the address is just shown as Clee

HO107 Piece 912/9 Folio 6 Page 5
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hartland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again carolw,  I have had this info for about 2 years, i have been concentrating on the other side of the family, so i have'nt done any more research on Francis.  Mary and Francis s ages are the same, can i ask where you found your information.  I think Clee could be near ludlow in shropshire, it sounds as though its the same family, but the address was definately as iv'e written.  I followed Francis through to the 1851 census ( i think ) where he is married to a Martha, at 76 Alcester st or rd. B,ham. I thought with a name like Francis he would be easy to follow through, i found a death for him in1872, but previous to that he married my g/gmother Jane, his first wife died 1861. it gets very complicated. I don't know what to make of it all. Jackie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Francis Williams you found on the 1841 was not living in Shropshire - he was living in Mamble which is in Worcestershire but as Mamble is in the registration district of Cleobury Mortimer I can understand your confusion with the counties

HO107 Piece 1193/1 Folio 14 Page 12

His birthplace on later censuses is Birmingham Warwickshire but the 1841 Francis is shown as "born in county" (ie) Worcestershire

Offline hartland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 May 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolw, Thank you for your reply, i did'nt know Mamble was classed as Worcestershire.      I shall have to send for a birth and marriage certificates to be sure he is the right person. Thank you again Jackie.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Bear this IGI entry in mind for a later date

FRANCIS WILLIAMS  Birth:  21 OCT 1816   Christening:  06 APR 1819   Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick   Father:  JAMES WILLIAMS    Mother:  HANNAH