Author Topic: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU  (Read 17551 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU
« on: Friday 14 May 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for reading. Hope someone can see something I've missed.

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Veevers and was Edith Osborne a bigamist?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

1901 census RG13 3865 folio 46
26 Whalley Street Burnley, Lancashire
Robert Veevers 32 Boarder Married Cotton Weaver  Burnley, Lancashire

Edith and the children were living at 15 Lomas Street Burnley on the same census RG13 3871 folio 101

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda.

That's a big help as I couldn't see him at all.  That means he was alive in 1901 so if he died it would have been before or at the beginning of 1903.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

The same Robert appears to be showing on the 1911 census in Burnley?

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Regards

Valda

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 May 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Oh  :o - that means he wasn't dead.  I'm out of credits at the moment but will buy some and take a look to see who was in the same household.

Thanks so much.

Luzzu

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 May 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Possibly not if it was the same man. Marriages as today in the past broke down. The difference was that free legal aid for divorce was not avaialable until after the First World War. Divorce was therefore out of the reach of all those who could not afford the legal fees. The choice for them was quite simply continue to live together, go your separate ways which might involve living with someone else as a married couple, or marry bigamously. The latter option was not uncommon and shows an element of toleration from communities and families where the nature of some of these marriages must have been known about.

Regards

Valda

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 May 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice.  It is very helpful.   So as long as everyone was happy and tolerant and no one "in authority" found out everything was fine and I suppose that was why Edith decided to use her maiden name (slightly amended) to cover the tracks a little bit.  I think I have a similar situation in another branch of my family (as yet unproven) but one couple were in Leicestershire and the other in London.  The difference with Edith and Robert is that they continued living in the same town and from what I have seen Burnley was quite a close knit community.

Luzzu

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu

There are a few Robert Veevers in Lancashire. Can you say when yours was born and where? Also what was the name of the wife in 1911, and where were they living?

Ken

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 May 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

See my previous post giving Robert Veevers born Burnley (1868) and living in Burnley on the 1901 census. A man of that age and name was still living in Burnely on the 1911 census. Robert and Edith married in Burnley in 1889. Robert is on the 1881 census at RG11 4149 folio 70. The census he is missing from is 1891.

Full details are given by Luzzu in her first post on Edith Veevers nee Osborne (born 1868) and her marriage in 1903 in Burnley to Albert Pollard and Edith and her family on the 1911 census still in Burnley.

Regards

Valda