Author Topic: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU  (Read 17550 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Veevers and was Edith Osborne a bigamist?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'd have to see the certificate. Eli may have died (can't see him on the 1891 census) and Mary Ann's mother remarried. Or both died and there was a little uncertainty in the Rogers family whether a marriage had taken place....

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1886
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
WOOD         Eli               31    St Peters Preston      ST.P/17/65

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:23 BST (UK) »
A BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HELP  ;D ;D ;D.

One last question.  Do you think it would be worth trying to search for a divorce for Edith and Robert?  I have just done a quick search on The National Archives and Lancashire Records Office websites but nothing is showing.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 16 May 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Your welcome

This is The National Archives research guide on divorce.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53

For the period before the First World War anyone divorcing would have had to have their divorce case heard in a court in London. TNA has an online electronic index.
It wasn't until 1922 that besides London ten assize towns were named as suitable for the hearing of certain kinds of divorce. TNA does not hold the records for divorce cases heard outside of London.

From the guide

'Although divorce was no longer the exclusive province of the very wealthy, it still involved considerable expense, so the poor were effectively excluded. The very poor could sue without payment of fees ‘in forma pauperis’ if they could prove their lack of means. The real opening of divorce to all classes did not take place until the 1920s, with the extension of legal aid, and the provision of some local facilities.'

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 May 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you again.

I think I will order the Robert Veevers/Mary Ann Wood marriage certificate because I think that will go along way to confirming everything - I hope.

I will do an update when it arrives.

;D ;D ;D

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
I've just picked up on this thread and am reading it with interest. Alfred Veevers and Sarah Jane Hurst were my great grandparents. Their daughter Ann, born five years after Robert, was my Grannie.

I've been trying to trace Robert and had the same 1911 census enumeration at Rake Head farm, but wasn't sure if I had the correct Robert. Sarah, Mary and James are all names in the Veevers family. James Veevers was the father of Alfred, and Mary was Robert's sister who died as a young adult.

Thanks for posting the information from the marriage certificate of Robert and Edith, and to others who posted information. It's very helpful. Alfred was a greengrocer in Abel Street, Burnley, and I have documentation on some others in the family.

Joan

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 May 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan,

Thanks for posting.  I am related to the Osbornes - Edith was the younger sister of my great, great granddad.

I think everything I have on Robert and Edith is on the thread and Valda has done a great job of sorting it out for me.

Robert Veevers and Edith Osborne married on 10 Jun 1889 at Brunswick Chapel, Burnley and the witnesses were Charles Osborne, her younger brother, and Rebecca Osborne, her sister-in-law.  Rebecca is my great, great grandmother and was married to Edith's older brother, Samuel John.  The certificate confirms Robert's father as Alfred, greengrocer and Edith's father as James (deceased) - which is correct as he died in 1874.

I have ordered the Robert Veevers/Mary Ann Wood marriage certificate and I have everything crossed that this will be the same Robert Veevers who married Edith.  I think it will take a while to arrive because I am on overseas delivery but hopefully the GRO have sorted out their backlog by now.

I think I am certain that the Edith who married Robert Veevers in 1889 is the same one who married Albert Pollard in 1903 because the children who were with her before are still with her in 1911 and some of them have very unusual names.

:D

Luzzu

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 May 10 00:02 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading through Peter Veevers WW1 record (he was the eldest son of Robert Veevers and Edith Osborne).  He gives his address as 22 Lyndhurst Road, Burnley which is where Albert Pollard and Edith Osborne were living in 1911 and also names Edith Pollard, mother as next of kin.

Still struggling to find Robert Veevers in 1891.  That is the only census I am missing now.

I am puzzled because clearly the Robert Veevers/Edith Osborne marriage broke down and although they married in 1889 they don't appear on ANY census together but their last child together was born in 1900  ???.  They both went on to re-marry their new partners in 1903.

Luzzu

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 May 10 04:16 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1901 census for Edith and according to it, her four youngest children, aged 5, 4, 3 and 2, were born in Barrowford, Nelson, Blackpool and Cornholme respectively.

Did Edith and Robert Veevers move around so much?

I've been trying to find Robert in the 1891 census for a long time, without success. I have all the other Veevers siblings, ten of them.

Joan

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 May 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
I looked at the 1901 census for Edith and according to it, her four youngest children, aged 5, 4, 3 and 2, were born in Barrowford, Nelson, Blackpool and Cornholme respectively.

Did Edith and Robert Veevers move around so much?

Yes I noticed that too.  I suppose they must have done.  Looking at the map Barrowford, Cornholme and Nelson seem to be not far away but Blackpool  ??? - perhaps they were on holiday  :D.  There certainly seems enough evidence to me that the Edith Osborne, Edith Veevers and Edith Pollard are the same lady especially as some of the children are with her in 1911.

Have you ever come across Thos Veevers born ca 1869 in Burnley?  I noticed him in 1891:-

Thos Veevers 22  mar labourer born Burnley, Lancs
Margt A Veevers 20 mar wife born cotton weaver born Blackburn, Lancs
Mary A Veevers 1 dau born Burnley, Lancs

living at 225 Clifton Street, Habergham Eaves

RG12/3369/23 p41

The thing is he only seems to appear in 1891 and I can't see a marriage for him either so far  ???.  Do you think its strange that he only seems to be there in 1891?  Probably totally on the wrong track but its bothering me.  Thought I would mention it as you have done a lot more on the Veevers family than I have.

Luzzu