Author Topic: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU  (Read 17552 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Veevers and was Edith Osborne a bigamist?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 May 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Tom Veevers doesn't seem to have any connection to Robert.

1901 census RG13 3867 folio 21
18 Rochester Street Burnley
Tom Ververs 32 Head Married Labourer at Palasade Worlls? Burnley Lancashire
Margaret A Veevers 30 Wife Married Blackburn Lancashire
Mary J Veevers 11 Daughter
Elizabeth A Veevers 9 Daughter
Annie Veevers 6 Daughter
Harry Veevers 3 Son
Margaret A Veevers 11 months Daughter 

all the children born Burnley

Marriages Jun 1889   
Ridsdale  Margaret Alice     Burnley  8e 339   
Veevers  Tom     Burnley  8e 339

Births Jun 1868 
VEEVERS  Tom     Burnley  8e 216

1881 census RG11 4146 folio 13
16 Ormerod Street Burnley
Ambrose Veevers 39 Head Married Cotton Weaver Clitheroe lancashire
Mary Jane Veevers 34 Wife Married Housekeeper
Tom Veevers 12 Son Cotton weaver
Isabella Veevers 9 Daughter
Harry Veevers 1 Son
plus 3 boarders

wife and children born Burnley

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 May 10 17:21 BST (UK) »
That's right, Valda. As far as I know, Thomas Veevers has no connection with my Veevers family.

Joan

Offline maytime

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 May 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
I've been looking back at my Veevers notes. In the 1901 census Robert Veevers was a boarder at 26 Whalley St. with Robert and Martha Heyes and their one-year-old daughter. This could be Robert's sister Martha and her husband Robert Heyes. Martha Heyes' year of birth, 1875, fits with that of Robert's sister. Martha's sister, my grandmother, lived a few doors away on the same street.

I have a copy of Alfred Veevers' will, written in April 1917 and proved in August 1918. Robert was a beneficiary along with his remaining nine siblings. One sister died earlier and her children benefitted.

This indicates that Robert was on good terms with his family, and was alive in 1918.

I had tried searching for him in passenger lists in case he left England for a while but so far without success.

Joan

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 May 10 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up.  Don't think I had my brain in gear this morning  ::) - was searching for Thomas and Thos and didn't think to search under Tom.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 26 May 10 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Received the Robert Veevers/Mary Ann Wood marriage certificate today and it is the right one  :D.  It confirms that Robert Veevers who married Mary Ann Wood is the same one who married Edith Osborne.

He is aged 34, which is correct.  His occupation is weaver, which is correct and his father is Alfred Veevers, retired grocer which is also correct.  He is described as widower which isn't right because I know Edith is alive and marries Albert Pollard.

Mary Ann's details seem to tie in with what Valda came up with but not exactly  ???.

She is aged 23, which is correct, occupation weaver which is also correct.  However her father is Eli Rogers (deceased) - no occupation  which sort of fits  (Rogers was her mother's maiden name) and she says she is a widow which I don't think she was  ???   I wonder if she was covering up the fact that her daughter, Sarah Pamela, was illegitimate.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline marinelife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 February 11 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just seen your post about Robert Veevers/MAry Ann Wood and Edith Osborne. I have been researching these people and have been told that as Edith and Robert had been apart over 7 years, then the 7 years rule came into effect and they were classed as divorced, hence both of them remarrying

Sue

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 February 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A previous thread on the seven year ruling or bigamy on Rootschat.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=502873.0

Just being apart for seven years is not the same as being legally divorced.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 February 11 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for posting  :D.  Are you related to to Robert Veevers or Edith Osborne?  I have many years of detailed research on the Osbornes (Edith was my 3 x gt aunt) so if you feel like comparing notes or you feel I can help with anything, please do not hesitate to PM me.

I would be interested to learn if you know where Robert Veevers was in 1891  :).

Going back to the Veevers/Wood/Osborne/Brierley/Pollard tangle  ::).  It is true they had been apart for 7 years but as Valda has mentioned it is not the same as divorce.

The way I understand this is  when Robert Veevers married Mary Ann Wood and Edith Osborne married Albert Pollard, they both had a living spouse so the marriages would have been illegal.  However because they had been separated for 7 years and may have each presumed the other had died, this might in fact mean they were not guilty of bigamy - but if the other parties were living even if they were not guilty of bigamy the marriages were still illegal.

In between Edith being married to Robert Veevers and then marrying Albert Pollard she was with Levi Brierley and had several children with him.  On the eldest child's birth certificate she is recorded as Edith Veevers formerly Osborne and on the birth certificates of the four subsequent children she is Edith Brierley formerly Osborne.  I cannot find any evidence she ever married Levi Brierley.  This seems to be the time when she stopped using Veevers as her surname.

Finally, when Robert Veevers married Mary Ann Wood he is recorded as "widower" but when Edith Osborne married Albert Pollard she is recorded as "spinster" and has changed her name to Edith Jenkin Osborne (the Jenkin can be traced back quite a way in the Osborne family) so to me that looks like an attempt to cover up what has gone before.  In addition Rebecca Osborne was a witness at both the Edith Osborne marriages, she was able to read and write and would have known that Edith wasn't a spinster when she married Albert Pollard.

Luzzu

Offline Veevers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 April 12 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am the wife of Sean Veevers. The great grandson of RobertVeevers and Mary Anne Wood (veevers). Robert and Anne are buried in Christchurch New Zealand at the Christchurch cemetery. We are researching Mary. We understand she was born in Texas,USA. If you could shed some light on her and family that would be great. We are in Australia.