Author Topic: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU  (Read 17553 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Robert Veevers? - COMPLETED THANK YOU
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 08 April 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am related to Edith Osborne who was Robert Veever's first wife.  I believe they became estranged and then Robert Veevers married Mary Ann Wood in 1903 in Oldham.

From what I can work out Mary Ann Wood already had a daughter, Sarah Pamela Wood, who was born in 1900 and then she went on to have Mary Veevers born in 1907 and James Veevers born in 1908.

Edith had three children with Robert Veevers before they split up.  She then had five children with Levi Brierley - I haven't been able to find a marriage for Levi and Edith, presumably because if she had married him she would have been a bigamist.  Edith then married Albert Pollard in 1903 and had four children with him.

When Edith married Albert Pollard and Robert Veevers married Mary Ann Wood, they had both been separated for 7 years so although both marriages would have been illegal as both parties had a spouse who was still living, because of the 7 year separation they would not have been guilty of bigamy.

You mentioned that you thought Mary Ann Wood was born in Texas.  This puzzles me because according to the census she was born in Lancashire, England and her parents were Eli Wood and Mary Ann Rogers, who were married in Preston Lancashire in 1878.

I hope this is helpful.  It has been very complicated to research so I would be pleased if you are able to add anything.  Also if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Happy to compare notes.

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Veevers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 08 April 12 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for responding. our notes state that in 1898 he was still married to Edith and Robert married Mary Ann in 1903. That would make 5 years so bigamy is highly likely as have found nothing on divorce. Robert listed all children on his enlistment to Army in ww1.
As follows:
Sarah Pamela born 4th April 1900  picton, England.
Possibly born as result of another father before they met.
Mary Thurza 4th Jan 1907
James 11th April 1908
Robert 4th Feb 1912
John 7th Sept 1914
All born in Nelson, England.

Robert and Mary Ann married 28th March 1903 at Oldham,England
Address noted 17 Newport St Picton.

All info taken from WW1 enlistment in Royal Army.

Sean's grandfather is Robert Kenneth born 4th Feb 1912.
Robert, Mary Ann, and 2 youngest boy, Robert and John arrived from what
Dates we have noted...arrived in New Zealand approx 1920.

Shipping info yet to be found. All four are buried in Christchurch Cemetery NZ. As for Mary Ann her death information states born Texas,Usa.
Is it possible her family moved to England from U.S?

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Robert and Edith were definitely estranged by by 1895.  Robert and Edith had their last child together in 1894 and by July 1895 she was with Levi Brierley.

On the birth certificate for Archie Brierley, the name of the father is blank but Levi Brierley is the informant.  If Archie was Robert's son, I think it very unlikely he would have been given the middle name of Brierley.  Edith styles herself as Edith Veevers formerly Osborne.  In 1896 when their next child is born, Levi Brierley is named as the father and Edith is now Edith Jenkins Brierley formerly Osborne.

I believe Levi and Edith didn't marry because a marriage would have been bigamous.  By the time Robert and Mary Ann married in 1903 and Edith and Albert Pollard married also in 1903, Robert and Edith had been separated for more than 7 years.  So although the marriages were illegal, they were not bigamous.  Under the 7 year rule, if Robert and Edith had not seen each other and believed each other to be dead, they could remarry without the fear of prosecution.  I have not found any evidence of divorce and believe divorce was uncommon at this time among the lower classes due to its expense.

On their marriage certificate dated 28 March 1903, both Robert and Mary Ann said they were widowed.  Robert wasn't widower as Edith was still living.  Not sure why Mary Ann said she was a widow though.  Albert Pollard and Edith Osborne were married on 24 January 1903.  Albert stated he was a widower which is correct but Edith said she was a spinster which she wasn't.

With regard to the reference to Texas, this is still a mystery.  Mary Ann's father, Eli, was born in Preston and her mother, Mary Ann, was born in Liverpool according to the UK census.  I haven't researched her parents any further back.

I think I might have found shipping information for their trip to New Zealand but need to look at this more detail so will get back to you on this.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 09 April 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Re the shipping information.  I think it is Robert, Mary Ann and their two eldest children, Mary Thurza and James.  I hesitated because there is no mention of the younger children, Robert and John.

24 March 1920
Liverpool to Auckland
Paparoa 111346 The New Zealand Shipping Company
Mr R Veevers aged 46 (born 1874) - occupation weaver
Mrs M A Veevers aged 38 (born 1882) - occupation housewife
Miss M T Veevers aged 13 (born 1907) - scholar
Mr J Veevers aged 12 (born 1908) - scholar

The document says they are British passengers and they travelled 3rd class.

Luzzu

Offline Veevers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 09 April 12 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I found the shipping records as well. I thought strange however, We believe children of young age were not always recorded as passengers. We are going to NZ in 3 weeks which may shed more light. Mary Ann aged 20 lived with her mothers sisters, Charlotte, Lillie and Sarah. Mary ann Wood(Rogers) lost her husband Eli age 31 to cotton weaver lung disease. Mary Ann at 20 whilst living with her aunts had 11 month old Sarah Pamela born 1901. This is where she may have been a widow but, nothing found regarding that and child presumed illigitimate as child was absorbed into Veevers marriage in1903.  I need some help with regards to Archie,hopwoid, Mabel and Ernest Veevers. I jave notes on Ernest as Ernest Charles Veevers Tattersall. Notes on Ernest and Mabel and possibly Beatice surnames being changed for travel. All 3 noted as leaving England under surname Tattersall for Alberta Canada. Ernest and Mabledeceased buried in Keephills Cemetery Alberta Canada. Thankyou so much for your help.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 09 April 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have birth certificates for Archie Brierley, Hopwood, Ernest Charles Osborne,  Mabel Alice and Beatrice May.  Apart from Archie, their father is listed as Levi Brierley and in Archie's case the father's name is blank but Levi is the informant and Archie has Brierley as his middle name.  I know they were recorded as Veevers in the 1901 census but I think they should have been Brierley.  Levi wasn't with the family in 1901 but was a boarder elsewhere in Burnley.

So I have Edith's children with Robert Veevers:-

Peter Veevers born 1890
Unknown Veevers born and died 1892 (stillborn)
Osborne Veevers born and died 1894

and then with Levi Brierley I have Archie Brierley, Hopwood, Ernest Charles Osborne, Mabel Alice and Beatrice May;

and then with Albert Pollard I have Edith Edna, John Wilfred, Herbert Clare and Harry;

I don't have the name Tattersall in my research so would be interested to know where that comes from.

I would be interested in knowing the death and burial details in New Zealand and Canada to complete my notes.

Luzzu

Offline Veevers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 09 April 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/interment.asp?surname=Veevers&firstname=&year1=&year2=
I will research the tattersall side. Great talking to you, thankyou. Will post more soon.

Offline Veevers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 09 April 12 15:08 BST (UK) »
In addition for your records,Robert Kenneth who is Sean's grandfather married a lady of Maori descent. We are also researching that side if your interested.