Author Topic: Mayo & Chorlton-cum-Hardy connections  (Read 11046 times)

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo & Chorlton-cum-Hardy connections
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 May 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 thanks for information they could well have been relatives but like you cannot find any links as we have very  little information.

Should we establish anything will advise you

all the best

Offline nell1850

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 May 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Atella.
MEEHAN, HENAGHAN Ballinrobe Co. Mayo; HENEHAN, Derby; GRIMES Coolisduff Co. Mayo; KEEFFE Clyard Co. Mayo; WARD, DESMOND Claudy Co. Derry; FEDIGAN Ardgillan Co. Dublin

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
I asked if you had further details because there are Rogers in my family's area, which is just a few miles from Rathbaun.
The family I am thinking of lived beside my father's family home.
Here's a bit about that Michael Rogers:

the great writer, seanchai and patriot Micheal Mac Ruaidhri (( 1860-1936) from County Mayo. Micheal was the great friend of Padraig Pearse and was with him in the G.P.O. in 1916. This nearly forgotten scholar wrote six books in the Irish language, numerous poems and won eight Oireachtas gold medals for oratory and story-telling. From the foundation of Scoil Eanna ( Pearses School ) inRathfarnham, Dublin in 1908, he was the school gardener and taught practical horticulture to the pupils. He was called " TheMayo Poet " by Douglas Hyde because of the musical quality of his Irish.
That is taken from this site:
http://www.davidmunnelly.com/pdf/swingcd.pdf  who wrote a piece of music in memory of Michael. I can't find much else out about him but there is a memorial to him.

When was Thomas Rogers working in Chorlton? Do you have any timescales for your Rogers?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I do apologise for keep going on but I am interested because of the Rogers name and of course the area.

You say that Michael Rogers appears on the 1901 census in Rathbaun - but I have just looked at the site http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/cgi-bin/newcen-srch
and it has Thomas Rogers aged 62 yrs, farmer in Rathbaun.
There is a Michael 26 yrs, gardener in the household.

This is only an index, not the copy census form which you have probably seen.

Are these your family?

In 1911 they are Rodgers and Michael is married but they are farmers. I just had a look at marriages - did Michael marry Catherine Langan - another name from the area?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
I promise I won't write much more  ::)

You write:
We also found John Knox the same age 62yrs born the same time around 1839 in the same place Drumrevagh Ballynahaglish Tirawley Mayo

1901 has John Knox 62 yrs JP, living in Castlereagh townland.

It's Albert Knox and Utred Knox who are at Drumrevagh but Mary Rogers is a servant in the household of Albert.

I can't see any obvious Knox connections in Manchester  :-\

best wishes
heywood

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mayo Thomas Rodgers family
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 its absolutely no problem how many times you write that can sometimes help trigger a memory or find extra information.(This is what I was going to write regardless of whether extra data was established)

In fact we feel rather silly not entering an alternative spelling as this happened a lot on census forms and other documents.(I should have realised this as I have been helped on this forum greatly and tried to help others)

You have helped greatly we can definitely say this is the correct family and my wife said Michael did marry Catherine Langan .

It is the Thomas Rogers on census Rodgers that we want to find his back ground and we cannot really assume without facts that they were connected with Chorlton but we had been told of a Lancashire connection.

It would be nice to think that
the great writer, seanchai and patriot Micheal Mac Ruaidhri (( 1860-1936) was a relative we just do not know.

My wife did know about  Albert Knox and Utred Knox who are at Drumrevagh and Mary Rogers

(may be I should have had more data before I started this, its now making a bit more sense)

The following are the family:- Thomas Rogers aged 62 yrs, farmer in Rathbaun. There is a Michael 26 yrs, gardener in the household. (1901census)

If you have access to the marriage certificate does it show Thomas Rogers birthplace or his  parents names (he was married to Honor surname unknown to us) This would be wonderful to know more about him.

Please accept our strong appreciation for your work and information.

Regards

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 May 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again atella,

I found the marriage details on the Family Search pilot site:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

if you haven't used it - I entered Michael Rogers and 1911 as marriage date. You have to enter Mayo and then get a drop down list to choose Mayo, Ireland.
Luckily,there are only 3 to choose from and  I thought it would be Killala district and tried him. Then - a bit fiddly, I looked for a Catherine and eventually matched the details.
If you want to apply for that marriage it is 1911 Jan- March quarter, Vol 4, pg 207. It wouldn't tell you much though.
However, if you could find a birth for any of the children -that would give you Honor's maiden name.
In fact, I just tried it and there is a reference for Anne b 1890 which may be her.
Birth certificates will give you both parents names but marriages will only give you the names of the fathers of the brides and grooms.
I'll continue with the next message -am running out of space here.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 May 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Using the method of finding a groom and then searching by a first name- there are a couple of Killala marriages for Thomas Rogers. I have tried to cross reference with Honor but found nothing but there is a match (I hope) with Honoria Flanelly - 1872 Killala Vol 4 pg 375.
The references to film numbers etc  is if you were searching on Family Search films.
You can apply for certificates to http://www.groireland.ie/

Some years ago, I collated names from Ellis Island site - I was helping a lady in USA with names from 'our' area. Rogers rang a bell and I have just found my info stored on an external drive from a change of computer. (At last it is of some use  ;D)
I have your Rogers siblings; Anna and Maggie (in 1910)  and John (in 1906) all going to their brother Patrick. Anna gives their father as Thomas Rogers, Palmerstown.
Addiitonally, Mary (in 1900) goes to brother Patrick. She gives her place of origin as Killala.
You probably have this info but it is such a coincidence that I had got it.

heywood  :)   

Offline atella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 May 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The data on Marriages you sent was really interesting we think very much that this is the family.

Is Michael Rogers of the 1916 Uprising a relative of ours as this would be really interesting.

Its fantastic the information you found  as my wife could not find all of the children on 1911 but going to America explains why they are not all on the 1911 census.We did not know about Patrick what a lucky thing you remembered about the cd information.

We certainly know a lot more

Thank you so much :) Your work has been very appreciated.

All the best.