Author Topic: Need help searching for "Gibsons" please  (Read 6764 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Need help searching for "Gibsons" please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 May 10 09:31 BST (UK) »
J.J. huge thanks for coming to the rescue  ;D

From some of the info that you and Ev found, trying to piece together some of the info and linking it back to Scotland for firstly Barbara.

There is this marriage showing on IGI:

DONALD MCPHAIL and JANE CURRIE
Marriage: 03 JUN 1856 Kilmeny, Argyll

Two children show to them including the details found by Ev:

1. ARCHIBALD MCPHAIL Birth: 31 JUL 1858 Kilmeny, Argyll
2. BARABRA MCPHAILBirth: 02 JAN 1860 Kilmeny, Argyll

Struggling to see them as yet in the 1861 census. We think it is likely the family left for Canada in time for the Ontario born Mary Jane (c. 1864) that you have found J.J.

These are the children in Canada for 1871 you would think, in York West Ontario - everyone showing as born in Scotland including young Mary Jane:

Walter Currie 33 b. Scotland
Archibald Mc Phail 12
Barbara Mc Phail 10
Mary Jane Mc Phail 6

No relationships included, but I believe Walter shows as single, a labourer by occupation.

Just a note, need to watch on the Canadian censuses as the surname McPhail seems to also come up on searches as Mc Phail, with a space.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 May 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
OK, fresh eyes needed here to check my logic  ;D

I cannot see anything on births with father James Gibson and a mother McDougal(l) - I can however see a trail from Scotland for a couple, James Gibson and Mary MCLUGASH (this J.J. is the couple that you found in the 1881 Canadian census as a possible family for John).

There is a well researched tree also on Ancestry which has helped to confirm the likelihood on this possible family for John Gibson, with lots of sources that have been verified. J.J., with your experiece and knowledge of Canada, could you have a look at this tree (under parent search of James Gibson and Mary McLugash - owner roscr52)?

In essense, we have a James Gibson and Mary McLugash who married in 1852 Jan 21 in Kilchattan, Argyll, children showing to them in Scotland:

John - 30 Jan 1853 in Colonsay, Argyll...I think this is his baptim date from other sources
Margaret - 10 Sept 1854 in Colonsay, Argyll...this I think is birth date/ baptised early 1855.
Mary - 06 SEP 1856 in Jura, Argyll - shows on IGI and will show on the statutory records on SP
Christina - 4 Sept 1862, Ontario (she shows as aged 1 on the 1861 census in Canada, so not sure if the first Christina died and then next child also called Christina and born in 1862?)

The family show as arriving in New York, departing from Liverpool on the Ocean Monarch on 4 Aug 1860 - there is a shipping manifest entry as source for this.

There are also census entries for the family from 1861 to 1891 - including that 1881 census entry you found J.J. - in Bruce, Ontario.

There are a lot of additional notes on the tree regarding Mary McLugash and her family. I found this note interesting as it may explain the names McDougal and McLugash:

Rodrick's family [who looks to be a brother of Mary McLugash) name on the Isle of Colonsay was McLugash (which is a sept of the McDougall clan). When Rodrick and his brother Hugh went to Dunoon on the Scottish mainland their surname was recorded as McDougall. Rodrick's widowed father Archibald McLugash, and three brothers John, Archibald and Donald McLugash along with their families went to Bruce County, Ontario, Canada where their surname was also recorded as McDougall. 

This source gives a possible 1891 census entry for John Gibson in Assiniboia West, Territories  (am I right in thinking this was in the Saskatchewan province which could then link with birth of first son James Arthur?):

John Gibson, 38, single, farmer, b. Scotland in Moose Jaw, Assiniboia West

There is a note on the family tree for this census entry which states: John's cousins Archie and Donald McDougall were also there

There is a lot more detail on the tree but just kept to the bare bones here!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 May 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
 :P Just re-read your notes J.J. and realise that the potential entry you found for a Barbara McPhail (although should read 30 for age at least rather than 40) for the 1891 census was in Moose Jaw...exactly where the possible entry for John Gibson is to be found...think we might be passing the warm to hot stage now  ;D

Monica

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 May 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello to my "Research Team":  I cannot believe what you are finding.  I have to tell you, though, I am lost.  I can't get over how many conflicting birth years there are on these censuses and how easy it can be to go in an entirely wrong direction.  I am so grateful that you all have stepped in to help me with this search as I am totally amazed at what you have been able to find so far.  Thank you so much for what you are doing for me,  Monica, JJ and Ev.  Susan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 May 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
Awesome that you made the connection already Monica!  I am no expert in Canada, though...I just do well when on a roll sometimes...I was curious as to why Barbara never showed on 1891 so thought that must be she...and you've likely proven it...they may have met and married there...Susan can find that when the marriages become available...
The birth in Sask. was a good find Ev. Goodness knows the 1901 certainly didn't have a legible answer and the 1911 said "S"...

I don't have ancestry...just search using the available databases  :-X
Here are some more marriages and christenings / birth dates, Susan... for checking over later in case more rellies show up for you...
Parochial Register, Co. of Argyll,  http://www.colonsay.org.uk/OPRmarriages.pdf
The baptisms say both James & Mary are of Machrans ( Machrins?)  ( yes, Monica you were right, those were christenings for John & Margrat))
http://www.rootschat.com/links/08ph/   the download will be more searchable for you ( see link upper left)

Awe...I was wondering if the children had been orphaned... that can cause memory problems for documents as they haven't heard parents saying dates and names...

Archibald Mcphail Death Sept 20 1919 Weston, York, Ontario  - age: 61 years
Birth1858 Wilmesry, Scotland / Married / Father Donald
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 May 10 18:46 BST (UK) »
Monica I also see the surname as perhaps  "Maclugais" and Maclugash"

Marriages - Parish of Colonsay - Argyllshire
1855-June 25  - Archibald McLUGASH, age 30, of Colonsay - Herd - Bachelor
Born but not Registered on 26 March 1825 at Colonsay
Father - Archibald McLUGASH - Crofter ...Mother - Margaret McLUGASH -
says mother's maiden name was DARROCH and that she is deceased...so that part of story jives if this is correct family

scroll down for more  http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hotel/old1/cornframe67.html

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hotel/old1/cornframe54.html scroll to bottom- ship's list also on there
"John Blue and Ann Campbell were coming to join his mother and other siblings in Arran Township. Donald Lagash (McLugish/ McDougal) and Marion Blue were coming to the * "Scooptown Farm" to join her other siblings.
Archibald and John McLugash were his brothers. Archibald settled in Elderslie near his mother's relatives and John in Arran beside Alexander McNeill (son of Lauchlan). John was married to Lucy Currie who is the youngest sister of Professor MacKinnon's mother. Donald and Ann Galbraith settled in Arran Township.
All the above were buried in Rusk's Cemetery."

*Scooptown - a hamlet on the 14th concession. It was settled by families from Colonsay, Scotland....named supposedly for "  the unusual style of shingles on the roofs"..."scooped out roof beams "

Currie, McLugash, McPhail, Bell,  marriages
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tlarson/bdm/marriages/IslayMarriages1855-1875.csv

Rusk's cemetery all that are transcribed...there are McDougalls and McDougalds but no Archibald listed...
http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php?page=2&cemetery=Rusk%27s+
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 May 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
Lots there for you to follow up on now Susan  :)

Would be good to follow up on the marriage of John Gibson and Barbara McPhail to verify information we have found.

In terms of gaps that you still have:

- the names of James Gibson's parents (from the 1841 and 1851 census entries included on the Ancestry tree, he looks to be already working away from home from 1841) His 1851 census entry, just prior to his 1852 marriage to Mary, shows him as living in Machrius - probably a different spelling of Machrans - and born in Colonsay c. 1826. His death shows on the Anc/tree on 3 Jan 1900 in Tobermory, Ontario. Maybe his death cert could include parents' details if known to the informant. His marriage entry in the Old Parish Registers, just before the start of official registration in Scotland in 1855, does not include any clues on parents' names.

- What happened to Donald McPhail and Jane Currie after the birth of daughter Mary Jane in Ontario 1864. I can't see shipping manifests for Canada prior to 1865 on Ancestry (luckily with the Gibsons, they sailed into NY!). Not sure if they are available elsewhere. To help you work back on their line, their marriage cert in 1856 is available to view on line on Scotlands People and will include the names of their parents, including mothers' maiden names. We haven't been able to find them on the Scottish 1861 census as yet, so have no details on them other than marriage date and three of their children, including Barbara.

The Anc/tree is full of details, sources etc, predominantly on Mary McLugash's line, although as you have seen, the researcher has also followed through on James Gibson and Mary. Would be good if you made contact with the tree owner. Not sure if you have access to Ancestry. If not, happy to contact the tree owner on your behalf and pass on your private email so that you have direct contact to compare notes  :) If you want me to do that, please use the Private Messaging service here on RC. Just click on the small green scroll under my name - works very much like an standard email service.

Monica

Offline SusanMC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 May 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Team:  I have my work cut out for me.  This information far exceeds what I expected and I am very, very appreciative to both of you and to everyone who has helped me with my search.  Now I need to stop cutting grass and pulling weeds to sit down and check all these new leads out.  Thanks again.  Susan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hotel/old1/cornb33.html
"At the time, Colonsay was united with Jura in the same parish, but the minister kept separate records for each island. The records are imperfect, and from 1820 onwards one has to allow for additional complication by virtue of a growing baptist influence locally."
That fellow also says he has records of all events on the Island of Colonsay...Although it appears not everyone registered the births, wonder if he has something for James....