Author Topic: Robert Moore "of Linton" and his supposed Trade Tokens  (Read 12801 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Moore "of Linton" and his supposed Trade Tokens
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 January 23 23:03 GMT (UK) »
He didn't mint them himself ... there's been quite a lot of work done on the die varieties for seventeenth century traders' tokens (of which about 10 000 varieties are known; and it is believed that this represents perhaps a third of teh total number there were).

It seems that there were perhaps three or four main producers, and that their agents toured the country taking orders from individual traders. Whever possible they used as many common features as possible so that the dies could be prepared with a minimum of punches. Economy of scale, as it were.

Market value of these tokens varies according to condition and interest in the particular token, but you can generally expect to pay between £40 and £200 for them in collectable grades. The most sought-after one, like the heart-shaped Biggleswade Overssers token, can get up to about £400.

From your photograph, and assuming that the other face is in similar condition, I'd say that the base token should be graded good Fine. The detail and the inscription are clear and it has a nice patina to it. But the damage to the flan is quite substantial and will have a fairly deleterious effect on its overall value. I would suggest that a fair price for this one is perhaps £25 - £40.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 January 23 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Actually ... that may even be a little optimistic: compare for instance the quality and condition here, and it's only £34

https://rarecoinsandtokens.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=84_197_403&products_id=5157&zenid=es1503426j34nk4lv0ct1i34a7
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline DoctorDon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 March 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, new member today here.

I apologise in advance for hijacking this thread, but I would dearly love to contact Matt R. 

Matt R, we share family history with the McMillans.  My great great grandmother is Catherine McMillan, sister to your great great grandmother Mary Ann.  I've recently come across your posts and fantastic blog on the family and hope that you will see this and contact me. I'm unsure how else I can reach out to you, but this seems the best way for me.

Looking forward to hearing from you