Author Topic: Trying to find Jean Forrest  (Read 3454 times)

Offline wildheart83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Jean Forrest
« on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find out more information on my grandfather's siblings, each born between 1908 and 1924, but there seems to be one birth record missing. Jean (Jeannie) Forrest was born in June 1909, and according to ancestry.co.uk died in the south of England in 2002, but there doesn't appear to be any record of her birth in Scotland despite being the second eldest of 10 in the family.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look other than Scotland's People as I have been to the research place in Edinburgh and cannot find any information on her, and have searched online too.
Any help is gratefully received.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Jean Forrest
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Where abouts in Scotland was she born? Also, have you tried using Jane and other alternatives to Jeanie in your searches?

I've found quite a few Jeanie/Jane, Etc. For*ests  born 1909 but I'm  uncertain of the area.

Gadget

Added - just looked at you previous postings - it would be Kirkintilloch
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat wildheart.

A few thoughts:

Are you sure she was born in Scotland?

Do you know the names of her parents and when they married?

I am wondering if she was born before her parents married. Have you checked for possible births under her mother's maiden surname? Sorry, ignore that, I misread that Jean was eldest rather than second eldest.  :-[

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
In addition to the above - have you found the births of her siblings - especially the older one?

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:44 BST (UK) »
This looks like the list, AR

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,411579.msg2784998.html#msg2784998

Gadget

I'm HOPING these people aren't still alive?!?  In the nicest possible way!

:( :o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Her elder brother and younger sister are listed (1908 and 1910)  so :

1. Maybe she wasn't born Kirkintilloch
2. Maybe she has been  wrongly indexed - what other letter looks like an F

Gadget

Offline wildheart83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 May 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The only one still alive is Margaret (Peggy) who, unfortunately isn't well enough to talk to about all this.
I have the birth certificate, or have viewed the birth certificate for every other sibling except Jean. I've searched for J Forrest, since I now know her year of birth but still not finding anything.

I don't know for sure, but i'm guessing she was born in Kirkintilloch as all others were born there too, but have searched for all of Scotland just in case.

Parents were James and Margaret, married in 1907.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 May 10 13:36 BST (UK) »

what other letter looks like an F

Gadget

I tried writing a nice copperplate style F and, including 'flouishes'  ;D, came up with this list:
S?
L?
T?
Z?
E?

There may be others.  ;)