Author Topic: elder generation  (Read 3214 times)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: elder generation
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
There is an article about him in the Times of Tuesday 15 March 1955, page 11. The article is fairly long but the first paragraphs summarise the case.

"Releasing Sailor Arrested By U.S. Naval Shore Patrol
Crime By Law of Bermuda
Hans v The Queen
Before Lord Tucker, Lord Somervell of Harrow, and Mr L.M.D. De Silva

Their Lordships dismissed this appeal by special leave in forma pauperis, of William Francis Hans against his conviction on April 23, 1953, in the Supreme Court of Bermuda on two counts charging him with having unlawfully aided one Frank R. Ashley to escape from "lawful custody" contrary to section 111 of the Criminal Code of Bermuda. He was fined £10 on each count.

The case for the Crown was that some time after midnight on March 29, 1953 a United States naval shore patrol came across Ashley, who was a sailor in the United States Navy, in Hamilton City, Bermuda, and finding that his shore leave had expired at midnight and that he was therefore absent over leave, an offence under the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice, placed him in custody in the naval patrol wagon and secured the door from outside by placing a wire hook in position. Shortly afterwards the appellant, a Bermudan civilian, opened the door and released Ashley. After Ashley had been caught and again placed in the wagon the appellant again released him.

The appellant was arrested by a Bermuda police officer.

The position of......" 

The rest of the article discusses the legal position of the US military in Bermuda.

The full legal report for the case is:

William Francis Hans Appellant v The Queen Respondent [1955] 2 W.L.R. 700 or [1955] A.C. 378.

From manifest lists he appears to have been a fireman on Queen of Bermuda in 1951.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyHans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 May 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
Absolutely brilliant, nigelp and I thank you I'm in awe  on your detective work, sleuth extraordinaire.  ;) he was a character so I'm informed, I have information of him in the galley, whilst serving in the Royal navy, I came over to uk, June/July/1951. as mother had left him for whatever reasons, with my two sisters. Priceless anymore 8) 8) Take care and all the very best to you.

Offline BillyHans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 May 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hilda Hans, I believe her to be Hilda Eleen Hans, though my family state she's, Hilda Hannah May Hans, yet I'm unable to get any information to this.
Hilda Hans, (unless there is another!) was born in Pembroke, Bermuda 1904! had three children, father unknown, she left them to marry a Hockney/Hockny. again no references found here as yet. she lived in England! again I don't think she married, as I'm unable to track her down,  I have her last son Tony, but he has not mentioned anything, other than his papers/certificates etc, were burned ???  The plot thickens.
Ah well they had their reasons , strange as they may be, mother told me he had died, I was 35 years old when I found out that he was alive, though that was when he had actually died. sad life at time isn't it. anyway many thanks to you for your assistance, really appreciated.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
 - has a William F. Hans b. 1924 heading to the US in 1946, possibly with an Alma M.

freebmd.rootsweb.com shows a William F. Hans married in 1944, possibly to Alma M. Budd
(Alma may still be living, so I won't go further into her details for the moment).

Incoming passenger lists, although somebody should check these for the full info (you can get it via Ancestry), seem to show a Mrs Hilda Hockney, who is worth a check.

Offline BillyHans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 May 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hiya jorose, Many thanks, Alma is my mother, yes she's still alive, 87 last Birthday, But no info obviously through her divorce, she's since happily re-married for 50 years. (I don't intend to upset her in anyway, what I get is for me only, good, bad, ugly,)  Hilda Hockney (nee Hans) was my grandmother, no info on her either, other than yours,  I will use your info. I really appreciate all assistance here, as you've opened the doors so easily, whilst I''m struggled blindly, to find reasons for.  All the very best to you all. dead chuffed here, THANK YOU.  Carlos 

Offline BillyHans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 May 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hiya jorose,  I got dad, mam, & eldest sister, on passengers list to Bermuda & us three returning to UK, (without dad) Hilda Hockney, still as yet unable to locate, incoming passenger list to Bermuda, or Uk!? I'll keep checking. Once again, Many Thanks. Carlos

Offline BillyHans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Why is there a folder like symbol in green, on the left hand side of my blog, must be doing something wrong here me thinks, help please.

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
It is green when the person is online.

Nigel

Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
Do you mean the little green scroll under a person's user name? See help pages under Personal Messages (scroll down to bottom of page):
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!