Author Topic: Anyone else read this book "Collecting folk melodies in Herefordshire"  (Read 2134 times)

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My Great Grandparents are mentioned in this book they are Harriet and John Jones nee Price John was a tinner Gypsy and they travelled through Wales and England children being born in Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, and  Glamorgan
On the census records i have found after John and Harriet were married ( no marr record) that three different places of birth have been listed for Harriet they being Wellington/Ketley and Ellesmere Shropshire but in the above book it says she hailed from Newtown does anyone else have an interest in this family

Offline Travellingman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else read this book "Collecting folk melodies in Herefordshire"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 10 00:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Fandango

I certainly have an interest and am desperately trying to ascertain whether this Harriet is my Harriet. Perhaps we can explore this jointly?

Wayne Jones

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 10 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne,
Yes it would be great if we could work together on this family
Can i ask how you are connected ? I do have bits of info on some of the children of John and Harriet
Fandango

Offline Travellingman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again Fandango. Wayne here. Harriet Jones was my great great grandmother. She was married to Tom Jones in the late 1870s but I have not found their marriage certificate. The photo in the book by Mrs Leather is of a Harriet Jones, whom I hope is my Harriet. She was born in 1859 in Aberystwyth and was the daughter of Ned and Hannah Jones, Ned being Alabaina Wood's son. I wonder if she married John Jones later in life.

Was your Harriet Jones older?  If so, I guess that she is not the same Harriet as mine. It would however be helpful to have details of her children that you may have. I look forward to hearing from you. many thanks.

Wayne

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Wayne,
My Harriet was born circa 1836 she was still alive and living in Shropshire in 1911 and no I don't think she ever married a Tom  all the children I can account for were the children of John Jones some of the names as follows, Lettita, Ann, Byron, Price, Arthur, Alfred, Amy, William, John and Llewellyn and poss others, Like you i would like to think the Harriet in the book is my Harriet, perhaps we will never know for certain
Fandango

Offline Travellingman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Dear Fandango

Thanks again for your latest reply. I am inclined to believe the suggestion that the Harriet in the book is yours. Mine would only have been 51 when Mrs Leather's book was published in 1912, relating her meeting with her in Herefordshire earlier than that even.

The Harriet Jones in the book is described as an old lady, and so I am inclined to believe she is not mine. In turn, there are references by Mrs Leather in the JGLS in 1925 to Harriet being an Edwards of Newtown and having a son called Alfred Price Jones and another son called Arthur Price Jones. It therefore looks almost certainly like the photograph in Mrs Leather's book is of your ancestor and not mine. If you need any further references to the JGLS article, do let me know.

Wayne Jones