Author Topic: Robert Smith born 1853 Edinburgh  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Wie-165

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Smith born 1853 Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 October 21 21:49 BST (UK) »
HI Carolyn I have his death certificate and marriage cert and can tell you about my grandfather.  I have an idea of where the other children are.

Offline Wie-165

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Smith born 1853 Edinburgh.
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 October 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just out of interest Robert Swan Smith was a shipsrigger in the Merchant Navy could he have added the Smith if there were two people on the ship with the same name and it stuck on his records?  Is that a think does anyone know?

Carolyn do you per chance has a ship in a bottle?  so far both us and our cousins we have found of James kids have a ship in a bottle made by Robert Swan Smith

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 August 23 08:46 BST (UK) »
Wie,
   I am so very sorry not to have replied sooner to your post, but I only noticed it this morning after a long break from ancestry hunting! How amazing that we may be related, and I had no idea that Robert Swan Smith had been in the Merchant Navy, although we were up in Greenock last summer, and will be again next year, and I did know about Mary Jane and him living there. Also I had no idea he made ships in bottles!
   I am the granddaughter of Robert's first son, Edward. I hope you find this message so that we can exchange news further. Very best wishes to you, Islay.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 August 23 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wie, I have only just noticed your post today after having a long break from ancestry hunting, and I was most interested to see it. Thank you for the message.
      Like yourself I am the great granddaughter of Robert Swan Smith and Mary Ann Byron. I am descended from their first born child, Edward. I will leave it at that for now in case you too, are having a break from family tree business and don't see this reply, but if you do, it would be wonderful to make contact and exchange more news. Hope you see this soon and respond as I am quite excited! Best wishes, Carolyn.