Author Topic: Byrne family of Dublin help needed  (Read 9364 times)

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Byrne family of Dublin help needed
« on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
My aunt has asked me to do some research for her, she can't remember her fathers birthday.  She is 80 this year, born 1930?.  Lived in Malahide all her life and as far as we're aware so did her family. 

Her father is John Byrne, died in 1972.  I havent been given his age, I am waiting for a reply, I'm not sure if they know it or not.  He married Alice. 

His parents were Micheal and Elizabeth burn, siblings were Michael, James and Margaret.  I have found a record on the 1911 census with all the names above, apart fomr Elizabeth and it states that Micheal is widowed, I'm so sure it's the right family because the details match, the family is in Yellow Walls, Malahide, which is where the family are now. 

How would I find information before or after this?  Births of the children, death for Elizabeth, marriage for Micheal and Elizabeth? 

I've always struggled with the irish side, I am in england and have traced my english side to the 1600's. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Malahide/Yellow_Walls/2607/
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams
Buckinghamshire - Burrows, Woodward, Adams
Ireland (Dublin/Malahide/Cork) - O'Driscoll, Henvy, Gallaghan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne family of Dublin help needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
To start off see the topic 2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on searching the BMD index, ordering certs etc..

The town of Malahide is in the registration district of Balrothery which may help to narrow down the correct registrations (as long as the events took place in or near to home).

The famlysearch index includes mother's maiden name in the births in the 1930s, which might help find you aunts birth, and start your research.

but note : you may not post details of living people on rootschat.

Once you know further details you could order possible birth certs , and then search for her parents marriage cert and continue back from there to confirm that the family you found on the census is the correct one.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you. 

The site I have just used was wonderful and I wish I had known it exsisted! 

However, the family I am looking for are not on there!! :(  I have found all of my dads family, but my auntys family just doesn't appear and I'm confused. :(

Thank you for your help though. xx
Nottingham/Derby - Alvey, Machin, Scott, Stevenson, Redfern, Lowe, Coupe, Bowler, Strutt, Miller
Worcestershire - Burrows, Smith, Machin, Hardman, Nash, Sanders/Saunders, Davis, Adams

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
One of the problems with the surname Byrne is that there are a few  variations - e.g. O'Byrne, Burns etc

Do you know John's wife's maiden name, and where they were married ? 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
No, I am waiting for a reply, although I may have a few certificates I was given last time I went to Ireland, I may need to dig them out :S Not sure if they will help.

All I know is Alice... I presume they married somewhere in Malahide.  I wish I had more info, but I just can't get in touch with the family right now. :( I'm not very patient... I get too carried away with this :( lol

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
John Byrne burial here:
http://www.interment.net/data/ireland/dublin/malahide/mal_ak.htm

Many other Byrnes in the same graveyard may provide some clues.

Dara.

Offline prozac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 May 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
I've seen that before, my uncle is on that page.  But thank you.

Now I've found most of my information through various sites on the net, so i think I have found his birthday, but now I wanna find out more :(

I cannot find the death of Elizabeth.  By 1911 he is widowed, but I am struggling.  Her maiden name was Mahon, she was definetly the mother of Margaret (1897), John (1894) and James (1893), not sure about Micheal (1899), so inbetween that she dies...

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
http://dorothy1104.tripod.com/id23.html
you might find this of use , good luck !
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline CURR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, just wondering how you got on with your search.  I am a Byrne, orginally from Balgriffin.  My parents are (*) (originally from Coolock) and my mam is (*) (from Balgriffin).  Both my parents are still alive and they are 84 and 82 respectively and still live in Balgriffin.  My dad's sister Bridget Byrne married a John Henvey and although both have now passed on they lived all their married life on St. Brendan's Road in Coolock.  My mam and her family were born and raised in Balgriffin and I grew up all around the area of Balgriffin, Kinsealy, the Baskin and Malahide while my dad's family were all born and raised in Coolock.  I have attached a photo of what Balgriffin looked like in and around the 1950s and I believe it was taken from one of the upstairs windows of Campions Pub.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.  (New members require at least three posts before being able to access the Personal Message system)